Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxon-Waxon View Post
I bought mine on amazon. The Taotronics rep from Cali called me after I took shipment to ask about the transaction, and to REMIND ME about the warranty, to contact them with the transaction number and any questions. Just my 2Ę.
How long ago did you buy them? As stated, there have been reports of these things failing after 10 months or so now that they've flooded the market.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
also does anybody have any input on the possibility of running 2 radions instead of 3?
i believe 2 radions are sufficient. 1 radion is more than enough to cover the footprint of a 40b. if you do your math correctly, your 72inch tank is 2 40b, therefore should be fine if you just have 2 radions. also, 3 is an overkill in my opinion for both your tank and your wallet. i have seen people running 3 radions to cover their 200-300gal tank. worst case scenerio 2 radions and 1 taotronic for your tank.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post

How long ago did you buy them? As stated, there have been reports of these things failing after 10 months or so now that they've flooded the market.
August. If they fail, they fail. I attempt to warranty them. If I get screwed, I get screwed. It wasnt a $1000 system. I'll buy a SunSystems UFO led next time.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

If they fail there isn't much to them and should be pretty easy and inexpensive to fix. Replacing drivers should only take a few minutes.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morangus View Post
If they fail there isn't much to them and should be pretty easy and inexpensive to fix. Replacing drivers should only take a few minutes.
Yea I'm not too worried about it.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Huma, I run 2 radions over my 55. If you went that route with them covering 30' each, you could get away with 2 with your tank being 72' long by putting coral around the edge/ middle that do t require as much light. All you'd have to do is plug in johnathan's graph and you are good to go.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

this is awesome news! being as to how there are several members stating I can run 2 radions, I should be able to order both units in January. (if I get 2, I can sell my current fixture to recoup some of the money!)only problem now is hopefully I can ctch BRS selling them again in January. . . hopefully
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
this is awesome news! being as to how there are several members stating I can run 2 radions, I should be able to order both units in January. (if I get 2, I can sell my current fixture to recoup some of the money!)only problem now is hopefully I can ctch BRS selling them again in January. . . hopefully
I think that sale was a one off...almost every retailer had them on sale for the same discount, probably authorized by Ecotech.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I have ran those taotronics or similar fixtures for a couple years now. I have 6 of them. One RB unit, and the rest are assorted. Some are even the first generation non-dimmable models. All work fine and are very quiet. I even dropped one right in the tank (while it was off). I just ran a hair dryer on it for an hour or so and it worked fine after...lol...but I wouldn't recommend this.
I don't care what anyone says, if you have a 6' tank, you need 3 fixtures, no matter who is the manufacturer. You won't be happy with 2. Not unless you have some supplement to take up the low light zones, like a couple 5' actinic t5 lamps maybe...
Old 11-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

the initial thought was to buy 2 radions, temp mount them to cover the tank as best as possible, this way id have the power to start keeping higher-light corals, then in march or april buy a 3rd radion panel, then permanently mount them in their respective spots. idk though, its beginning to get a bit overwhelming. I happened to glance over the AI hydras and realized that I could just buy 3 of those and be done with it, but I don't know what their controllability is through an apex controller. also I know that I mentioned the apex earlier, but the fact is that I would have to crack open each Chinese panel, pull their drivers, replace them with the correct drivers so that my apex could then control them (ramping up and down). that scares me because the warranty would be null and void at that point.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chi, ecotech, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com