Ecotech Radion vs. Chinese LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huma-huma

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi all! i am looking into upgrading my lighting here in about 2 months, up unitl now, i had my mind set on buying 3 Chinese full-spectrum led panels for my 72" 125g. BUT after doing a bit more research, it seems as though people are starting to experience some warranty issues with their Chinese units. (sellers wont honor them, wont replace broken panels, etc.) so i started looking into other options. Now im not exactly thrilled about spending over $1,000 just for lighting but the fact is i need the PAR and im not running 500-600w of metal halides and replacing those bulbs every year. So i am now eying up the Ecotech Radion XR30w. they are roughly $550 a piece but oh well. i have 1 specific question along with an opinion-based question.
first question is, Ecotech states that each Radion can cover 30"x 30", if i spread them out just a bit, think i could run 2 units over my 125g tank? i know ill sacrifice PAR towards the ends but im ok, (need some lower light areas for acclimating)

2. all benefits and negatives considered, which should i go with? the quick and easy route is the Chinese leds, i can buy all 3 units in beginning of January. or do i go the higher-end more expensive route? if i do the latter, i can only buy one unit in jan and then another in prob april. to those reading this, it may seem like a dumb problem to have but i simply cant decide which route to go. keep in mind that if i do go Radions, ill prob sell my current fixture and just run the single radion in the middle till i get the other.

Well the radions are def nice and they can be linked up with the controller but at 550 each you could get 3-4 Chinese panels and a bunch of timers for each radion. I haven't heard of too many ppl having problems w the Chinese panels as I was researching and now I've had em for about 3 months w no problems. Either way you are going to be stoked LEDs look awesome.

Are the maxpect razor lights Chinese? I've got one over my cube and I love them. I've only had them 2 months though... No issues. They were more reasonably priced, comparible to the t5s had before.

I recommend Reef Breeders LED Fixtures. I have the value fixtures, quiet and have worked for about a year and they will work with you on what you want and they will back it up. Seem like a good company. Dealing with a US company as well.

Oh there is also buildmyled.com as well. I bit more expensive, but great stuff.

Following, as I've been in a tossup between ReefBreeders (though those look the same as the TaoTronics panels, and could very well be the same inside), and BuildMyLED as well. For my tank, there's only a $10-$15 difference in price between the two...just not sure which way to go.

I bought mine on amazon. The Taotronics rep from Cali called me after I took shipment to ask about the transaction, and to REMIND ME about the warranty, to contact them with the transaction number and any questions. Just my 2¢.

i personally don't want to deal with Reefbreeders because i feel that they are identical to taos (only with timers on them) and are way overpriced. until i see someone crack a RB open next to a Tao and show me they are superior, ill look elsewhere.

Flaxon, could you possibly provide the seller name from Cali? if i go with Taos id like to deal with a US supplier, even if it costs a few dollars more. that's really the main reason im hesitant to buy the Chinese fixtures, because if something does go wrong, i don't want to have to fight with someone to get them fixed. also i am getting an Apex, so it would be nice to control the leds with it.

also does anybody have any input on the possibility of running 2 radions instead of 3?

I bought mine on amazon. The Taotronics rep from Cali called me after I took shipment to ask about the transaction, and to REMIND ME about the warranty, to contact them with the transaction number and any questions. Just my 2¢.

How long ago did you buy them? As stated, there have been reports of these things failing after 10 months or so now that they've flooded the market.

also does anybody have any input on the possibility of running 2 radions instead of 3?

i believe 2 radions are sufficient. 1 radion is more than enough to cover the footprint of a 40b. if you do your math correctly, your 72inch tank is 2 40b, therefore should be fine if you just have 2 radions. also, 3 is an overkill in my opinion for both your tank and your wallet. i have seen people running 3 radions to cover their 200-300gal tank. worst case scenerio 2 radions and 1 taotronic for your tank.

How long ago did you buy them? As stated, there have been reports of these things failing after 10 months or so now that they've flooded the market.

August. If they fail, they fail. I attempt to warranty them. If I get screwed, I get screwed. It wasnt a $1000 system. I'll buy a SunSystems UFO led next time.

If they fail there isn't much to them and should be pretty easy and inexpensive to fix. Replacing drivers should only take a few minutes.

Huma, I run 2 radions over my 55. If you went that route with them covering 30' each, you could get away with 2 with your tank being 72' long by putting coral around the edge/ middle that do t require as much light. All you'd have to do is plug in johnathan's graph and you are good to go.

this is awesome news! being as to how there are several members stating I can run 2 radions, I should be able to order both units in January. (if I get 2, I can sell my current fixture to recoup some of the money!)only problem now is hopefully I can ctch BRS selling them again in January. . . hopefully

this is awesome news! being as to how there are several members stating I can run 2 radions, I should be able to order both units in January. (if I get 2, I can sell my current fixture to recoup some of the money!)only problem now is hopefully I can ctch BRS selling them again in January. . . hopefully

I think that sale was a one off...almost every retailer had them on sale for the same discount, probably authorized by Ecotech.

I have ran those taotronics or similar fixtures for a couple years now. I have 6 of them. One RB unit, and the rest are assorted. Some are even the first generation non-dimmable models. All work fine and are very quiet. I even dropped one right in the tank (while it was off). I just ran a hair dryer on it for an hour or so and it worked fine after...lol...but I wouldn't recommend this.
I don't care what anyone says, if you have a 6' tank, you need 3 fixtures, no matter who is the manufacturer. You won't be happy with 2. Not unless you have some supplement to take up the low light zones, like a couple 5' actinic t5 lamps maybe...

the initial thought was to buy 2 radions, temp mount them to cover the tank as best as possible, this way id have the power to start keeping higher-light corals, then in march or april buy a 3rd radion panel, then permanently mount them in their respective spots. idk though, its beginning to get a bit overwhelming. I happened to glance over the AI hydras and realized that I could just buy 3 of those and be done with it, but I don't know what their controllability is through an apex controller. also I know that I mentioned the apex earlier, but the fact is that I would have to crack open each Chinese panel, pull their drivers, replace them with the correct drivers so that my apex could then control them (ramping up and down). that scares me because the warranty would be null and void at that point.

Back
Top Bottom