Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ecotech Vortech Powerheads.

Hi everyone. Got a quick question before I lay out $900 on power heads.
Does anyone have any experience with the Ecotech Vortech MP40 power heads? Are they as good as they claim? The two things I love about them are the motor is outside the tank and the programmability for creating waves and slowing things down for feeding.
Iíve got a 90g FOWLR and currently have 3 Koralia 1400ís, 2 on the left 1 on the right. I want to get a wave maker and in the plan somewhere down the line is a ReefKeeper controller but these power heads got my attention too.
How many of the Vortechís do you think I would need? Iím thinking at least two for the wave action but would that be enough? Any other ideas?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The Vortech's are worth every penny. They are simply awesome and they move a ton of water. If you ever need customer support, they are top notch.

In a 90, depending upon your tank, 1 Mp40 might be enough. Certainly 2 would be great. While the wave action is cool, I run all of mine either on reefcrest or full constant. I'm moving 300 gallons across an 8' tank and I prefer more confusion in the flow pattern.

Having the motor outside of the tank will also keep heat out of the tank, and you would be surprised how much heat these little pumps make. If you havent seen how they run, check out some of the videos on YouTube.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah heat is a big problem for me right now. I was looking at chillers awhile ago. I for got that as a plus also.

90g SW FOWLR, 20g sump, octpuss skimmer, UV, Marineland Reef LED lighting, 3 Koralis PH and 8 little fishes.
adeian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecotech, powerhead, powerheads

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com