Ecoxotic E-Series - RGB LED fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks great. I'm thinking about swapping my fluval eco bright on my 20 long to the light you have

If you use this light on a 20g long, you'll be over 100 PAR, which is very high light. It is dimmable, so you'll have to dim it and should use CO2. Are you planning a high-tech planted tank?

I have some java fern now along with some moss balls want to add more plants high light ones but don't want to mess with co2 is that possible?

I have some java fern now along with some moss balls want to add more plants high light ones but don't want to mess with co2 is that possible?

You should start a new thread and we'll all pop in with some pointers.. i have multiple low tech med light tanks, it is absolutely do able.. Brian is on a whole notha level though. His jedi plantings are out of this world..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha... Thanks, Brookster! I can always use more Midi-chlorians if you have some to spare?

img_2975502_0_7160c9cd9a582f8dd2d51ec267ac8edc.jpg

For your low light plants you can get a Current satellite LED+. But if your budget permits, the E-Series is more versatile in the sense you can dim the light just right for low light plants, or increase intensity if you have more light demanding plants. But you have to keep in mind, with higher intensity lighting, you'll have to either inject CO2 or use a liquid carbon like Excel or Glut religiously to avoid algae. Also a comprehensive fertilizer regimen like from dry ferts (i.e. EI or PPS-Pro dosing methods) is paramount for success.

But to get the best out of the advice on this forum, like Brookster suggested, you should start a new thread with your tank info, pics, budget, and goals of your tank in the planted tanks section. We'd all love to help explore your options.

BTW, your tank scape looks great. Now just imagining if all the plants were real, it's surly a splendid sight to be seen :)

I will be keeping close tabs on this thread, as I am seriously considering switching to LEDs, and this unit in particular.

To me, this one has all the great features (adjustability, timer, endless light options) in a tidy looking package, not something I'll need to rig up myself.

One question: Does the control unit have a battery back-up in case of power loss? This seems to be a major complaint of many LED units with timers.

Yeah it does.. when I was testing it straight out of the box and on my empty 3g long (pictured earlier in this thread), I plugged it and set the time.. then unplugged it for days. After setting it up suspended over my 60F tank, lo and behold, time was still set and settings still in memory! The remote comes installed with a button battery with a plastic tab you pull out that's blocking the contacts. It also comes with a spare battery for the remote. Props to Ecoxotic for doing all that. I'm a happy camper for sure. :)

Last edited:
Well I've got a pretty well established 29 gal tank. It's been up and running for over two and a half years now. I moved about a year ago and my plants started to take a turn. I'm just looking to get a really nice environment for my fish, and I'd like to get a little more high tech in how I do things. You might see an update log rather than a build log ?

New video of the E-Series in action on my 60p. Timelapse at the end of the ramp down (15 minutes sped up to 1.3 minutes). Also got some footage of my plants pearling. Just 3 weeks since re-planted and my tank is making progress :)

Sweet video man! Who says bettas don't move around that much?! Light seems to be living up.to the expectations? ? Have you permanently mounted it on the tank? How long was it suspended?

Looks like a 7 UP commercial with all that pearling. During the time lapse there was one fish on the left side that kept to a particular pattern or route. I was fixated on it. I looked up this light fixture on DrsFoster&Smith and saw no reviews. Perhaps you should post your product feedback there.
Do you feel that this is a decent BML alternative?

Sweet video man! Who says bettas don't move around that much?! Light seems to be living up.to the expectations? ? Have you permanently mounted it on the tank? How long was it suspended?

I haven't suspended it. I think you're confusing the 60F (8g shallow tank: 24x12x7" ) with an E-Series over that. The tank in the video is the 60P (17g cube garden: 24x12x14" ). The light sits on the tank. However, I do plan on suspending it eventually when they release the suspension kit.

Yeah the betta moves around a lot when the light is on max. He sees his reflection, something he's probably not used to being in a plastic cup. So he's trying to look tough! Haha

So you're rocking 2 e series now or am I still confused... that betta is sick.. I'm probably going to have to put one in my 5.5 now haha

Back
Top Bottom