Ecoxotic E-Series - RGB LED fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just arrived yesterday at my place. Snapped some pics for my unboxing last night. I really like the packaging :)

I will write some initial impressions the more I play with it. But so far, comparing it to my Current Satellite LED+, it is an improvement in performance and generational innovation.

5 prong connector on the fixture end of the ramp timer / controller. Enables more control and two-way communication between the fixture and timer. The timer displays the power percentage (0 to 100%) of each RGBW channel as you set them. As well as displays time and mode.

I really like how small and slim they made the timer. It's much smaller and thinner than the Current single and pro timer. It's inline and integrated in the way it controls the light's ramp function and modes. It has an IR receiver built in instead of a separate cord and receiver as the Satellite LED+ has.

On the remote, you have two memory buttons (M1 and M2) that you can save your own custom light settings. There's also your compliment of preset colors and dynamic modes.

I also like how the moonlight function is baked in. This was one of the main criticisms of the Satellite LED+ and Dual or Pro Ramp timer combos. Current/Ecoxotic listened in that respect and R&D'd that function in... so 24 hour cycle daylight to moonlight, with gentle 15 minute ramp up and down. You can also customize the daylight and moonlight to your own liking of fine tuning the RGBW channels and committing them to memory. In other words, your moonlight doesn't have to be that typical deep blue -- which could look unnatural to some.

More observations and impressions to come. If anyone has questions, LMK.

Last edited:
Very cool! What are we talking for power here? rgb's til I die woot woot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Post #6 on this thread does a pretty neat cost comparison with PAR vs. a BML to put in perspective.

New Ecoxotic E-Series Full Spectrum LED

But here are the specs. I contacted Ecoxotic to get the PAR based on the sizes of the fixtures. There should be a little boost with longer fixtures -- albeit marginal.

E_Series_Technical-Specification1.jpg

Looks nice, I've been looking into leds a lot lately... I was almost settled on the finnex ray 2 but I'm thinking if I'm going to spend the money why not get the best one? :lol: this fixture looks like it can compete with BML in terms of Par output and it has tons of cool functions. May have to look into this one. What tank are you going to run it on?

Seems like it'd be better for a wider shorter tank like my 30b??

Looks nice, I've been looking into leds a lot lately... I was almost settled on the finnex ray 2 but I'm thinking if I'm going to spend the money why not get the best one? :lol: this fixture looks like it can compete with BML in terms of Par output and it has tons of cool functions. May have to look into this one. What tank are you going to run it on?

I'm actually getting 2. The one I received is the 18" which will replace the Finnex Ray 2 hovering suspended over my ADA 60F on a DIY conduit light hanger.

I'm getting a 24" model next week or so to replace the (2x) Sat+ fixtures on my ADA 60p. I'm eventually going to get the official hanging kit for this one. Rescape and everything eventually.

I too am interested in your review Brian. The PAR values are impressive! Hopefully, they measured the PAR values through water vice air.

Seems like it'd be better for a wider shorter tank like my 30b??

Yeah definitely the better choice after reading that comparison in that link. Good coverage, high (enough) PAR, FX & controller included, for a lower price.

But for taller tanks, with the option for tighter optics, the BML certainly has the leg up on the competition.

I too am interested in your review Brian. The PAR values are impressive! Hopefully, they measured the PAR values through water vice air.

I'm not sure how the PAR data was obtained. It's usually through air. But with light refraction and the way light bounces off the inside of the glass through water, I'm not sure if air or through water would favor better PAR values. I saw a thread on this once on TPT, but I just can't recall exactly what was said.

I have a 48" satellite LED plus on a 60" 120 gal. I absolutely love this fixture for the purpose that it serves... illuminating my beautiful Tanganyikan cichlids with no expectation of a planted tank, with fun modes to boot. For a dedicated planted tank (not a tank in which the owner grows random plants here and there), I would not go with the satellite plus. Thanks for writing up this post. You've been quite helpful in the past with steering folks toward appropriate lighting given their situation.

I'm not sure how the PAR data was obtained. It's usually through air. But with light refraction and the way light bounces off the inside of the glass through water, I'm not sure if air or through water would favor better PAR values. I saw a thread on this once on TPT, but I just can't recall exactly what was said.

Water increases it somewhat. I'm not sure of the exact amount though.

Is this something which could be adjusted to SW needs?

I hate to buy 2 lights just in case I change the 72G tank over to SW. and once again Brian, you might have spoiled my plan with this new review. How big are the lights, and are you going to sell the Sat + lights? I may be interested for a good price, lol.

I have a 48" satellite LED plus on a 60" 120 gal. I absolutely love this fixture for the purpose that it serves... illuminating my beautiful Tanganyikan cichlids with no expectation of a planted tank, with fun modes to boot. For a dedicated planted tank (not a tank in which the owner grows random plants here and there), I would not go with the satellite plus. Thanks for writing up this post. You've been quite helpful in the past with steering folks toward appropriate lighting given their situation.

Hi severum mama... The Satellite LED+ is definitely a fine choice for fish-only tanks, but many still use it for planted tank applications. If you have a tall tank, then low light is the limit (unless you supplement the lighting), on shallower tanks, it performs adequately. I'm not sure if you seen my 60p (17g) planted tank? I've been running it with two satellite LED+ lights + CO2... here are the results.

So it's quite capable, depending on the situation. The E-Series will expand on these capabilities and broaden the applications, but it is more expensive. But what can I say, I'm a sucker for technology and innovation. :)

Is this something which could be adjusted to SW needs?

I hate to buy 2 lights just in case I change the 72G tank over to SW. and once again Brian, you might have spoiled my plan with this new review. How big are the lights, and are you going to sell the Sat + lights? I may be interested for a good price, lol.

I'm not too sure about SW. I'm clueless in that regard. If it's a FOWLR tank or easy soft corals, then maybe.

I have 24" Sat+, the legs do stretch out to fit a 36" tank. I might be selling them in a week when I get the 24" E-Series. I'll PM you if I do. ;)

What do you guys think? 240 - 250 PAR on this tank?

Haha... j/k.. I've been using this 3g Mr Aqua as my test platform until I set it up on the intended tank. :)

You could create a super strain of algae, name it nano repens and make milions!!

New pics... but before you look, here are some quick notes:

So I spent the night and the better half of today, breaking down my 60F and slapping a quick scape together and threw in what plants I had (long story) to get the E-Series setup and going sooner than later. Please don't overly judge the scape. I'm actually kinda embarrassed about it. This tank was in really bad shape and I was just using it as a grow-out tank until a real "rescape" could be done. That's why there's many species of plants going on in here. So I might change that. But to be honest, we're going to be moving soon, so that will take place probably by the end of the year. So for now, this is it...

I'll probably start a new thread in the planted tanks section to document the growth progress more closely. I wasn't too sure how to attach the light so I kinda ghetto-rigged it on my conduit light hanger for now. I want to see what the official hanging kit looks like. I'll most likely get it and replace what I'm using here. Anyways, nuff said, here's some pics... :)

iGfthVOM2vMxw.JPG

iJmELll2K0PmA.JPG

i3o1Tv7Wla3V9.JPG

Back
Top Bottom