Edit--glass cover question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm so excited. I just got a 55 gallon off of ebay. It came with a base, but no lighting or lid. That is sort of good because I want a glass top this time.

My problem is this. I have a hang on back filter. I remember punching out the plastic on the lid I have for the hang on back filter, so when I buy the lid, do I need to be looking for something special??? I need some advice on what exactly to buy. Here's a pic:

http://i9.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/ce/75/cd_2.JPG

The tank looks like mine and mine is a Perfecto. Just be sure to buy Perfectos glass canopy as different mfrs have different sizes and won't fit each others. I learned that the hard way.

Not sure what you mean by glass canopy. A glass lid fit to the inside dimensions usually comes hinged, with a plastic strip that slides onto the glass for the final inch or two in the back. This plastic is cut away for filters and other tank hardware.

A canopy however, is placed on top of tank and lid, with the canopy resting on the outside dimensions of the tank. Thus, you can use the lid without removing the canopy. The canopy usually had a removable lid in the top so you can get to the tank lid directly on the tank. I have only seen canopies made out of wood, but I suppose they could be made from any manterial.

in the pic below you can see the matching wood canopy sitting on top of my tank. glass lids are below it to prevent evaporation and escapes.

http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/image007.jpg

Attachments

• image007_154.jpg
    image007_154.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 500
Let me rephrase. I want a glass lid and I am lost on what to get. Will there still be plastic on the back so I can pop it out? So the front lid will be glass and the back will be plastic??????????????? See, I need serious help.

Beautiful tank btw.

What I bought was called a versitop or somthing like that (i'll try to find a link).Basically its two pieces of glass with a hinge between them.I currently have a light strip over each for plant growth.

This top covers abot 85 % of the total tank I guess and came with a clear plastic strip for the remaining 15%.You cut off whatever amout of plastic you want (making it shorter) to allow for HOB filters or whatever else.Then you attach the plastic strip to the glass lid and and that "finishes" the all glass top.

Mine was about 18 bucks at the LFS.Money well spent imo.

Heres a link.The front has a handle,the brown in the middle is the hinge and on the back you can see the plastic strip that can be cut down.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/hoods/versatop.shtml

what did you use to cut it? that is exactly what i want.

Also, do you think I will need two because of the strip across the top of the tank. What size is yours?

actually I decided not to use my plastic strip at all to allow for gas exchange.I didn't want to "seal" the tank that well.

It looked to me as though a utility knife would cut it.

I have a 29g.

Also, do you think I will need two because of the strip across the top of the tank
Ask me this again,but in a different way lol...I'm not sure I understand the question.

Again lovemybarbs, each aquarium manufacturer makes glass tops to fit their tanks. As you purchased a standard 55g (which I believe was made by Perfecto), you need to buy the glass tops made by Perfecto. If you buy one made by All-Glass (that's the name of the company), it won't fit your tank as the dimensions of the center bracing are different.

Your lfs probably has it in stock. If not, it can be ordered on line for less.

On tanks with a middle strut for support, the glass lids are one for each side. Yes, they all come with the plastic strip for the back. I used tin snips or scissors to make the cut outs for mine.

Oh ..gothca.I really couldn't say with out seeing the tank and wether or not the strip is elevated.It looks like it set up for two tops,so two all glass lids make sense to me...but if it is even with the lip of the tank then one big one would do it as well I think.

Okay. I'm so anxious to get this going next weekend, I want to get this right. I was so lucky to get this in the first place. I can pick it up. He is ten miles from my house and I found it on ebay. Weird.

I'll be careful with the brands like brianny says. I know I looked at these before when I was shopping, but they are in a box and I didn't open them.

when you buy glass hood the galls only covers 95% the whole back is uncoverd and it comes with a plastic attachment that slides onto the glass and reaches the backend of the tank. this plastic is what you cut and make the space you need to let cables, hoses and filters.

I have a 48" strip light on one of my 55's, with the glass tops too. The light was included with a used tank/stand/hood deal, but the glass in the plastic covers was broken, and practically impossible to get out. I bought some hinge and clear plastic strip for the covers at the lfs, and got some 3/16" glass cut to make the covers for the tank. It's actually cheaper to buy the covers than to buy the components separately, but the glass I got is thicker and heavier, and fits a little better than the regular set I bought for the other 55. I epoxied some spare drawer pull knobs on the front glass for handles, much nicer than the cheap plastic ones that come with the regular sets.

If you don't intend to grow plants, I'd buy a single 48" strip light. Too much light can cause algae problems. :wink: Have fun with your new tank.

My 55 has a center support, so the there are two lids, one for each side. I use a single strip light 4 feet long, which spans both lids. I have it positioned behind the hinge, so that I can open each lid when I want to.

Back
Top Bottom