Eheim 2028 and oxygenation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmeunier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I just installed a new 2028 for my FW cichlid tank, along with the prefilter on the intake.

I had 2 AC500s on this tank, and they weren't doing an adequate job, so I bit the bullet and went with the Eheim.

My question, since this is my first canister filter. I'm currently running 1 AC500 in conjunction with the 2028. My main rationale being that the AC500 will provide oxygenation to the water, or at least some movement on the surface. Could I get away with uninstalling it, and just running the 2028, or should I leave it in place? I know that Eheim makes an attachment to do just this, but should I get it, or just stay with my current setup? My other concern is that the 2028 is only rated for 157 gallons or so, and it may just not be enough to keep up with the cichlids, and the AC500 would cover the gap.

Thanks

Did your 2028 come with a spraybar? If so, you can rotate it so that the water jets disturb the surface more. In either case, I would leave the AC500 in place. You can't overfilter cichlids, and having a second filter will give you great peace of mind in case one malfunctions. Another advantage to keeping the AC500 is quick and easy access to the media in case you ever need to run carbon or peat.

I run 2 AC 500s & an Eheim 2028 on my 125g tank. You can never have too much filtration. ACs are for mechanical & are rinsed every 2 weeks, Eheim for biological & rinsed when output slows.

Back
Top Bottom