Eheim 2028 Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kc27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How much media does an Eheim 2028 filter hold?

I downloaded a manual from the web, but it doesn't list this information. Will a 1 liter box of media fill one of the trays?

Can someone give me some direction on this? I'd like to know how much media I need to purchase for this filter.

well, this is what it comes with from the factory, and if the 2028 is like my 2444, it came with just enough to fill the trays perfectly.

1 x Eheim Install Set 1, 0.65in (Suction)
1 x Eheim Install Set 2, 0.65in (Pressure)
1 x EHFIMECH (Hollow Ceramic Rings) 1L
2 x Eheim SUBSTRAT Pro 2L

So, that would mean it will hold 3 litres of media total

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I was wondering how much the baskets would hold so I knew how much material I needed to order:

Mech (ceramic tubes) supposed to go in the bottom basket
Substrat Pro (not sure what it is made of, looks like small pebbles) is supposed to go in the other two baskets.

The Substrat Pro is expensive (1 liter is $25), so I was trying to determine how much I needed.

As an aside. are there other types of media that can be used in this filter that perform equally as well as the Eheim media? I am new to canister filters, and was wondering what the options are when refilling the filter.

Well, you can certainly use other media. I'm not real sure exactly what the substrat is either, i thought it looked alot like limestone gravel. If/when i replace the media in my 2224, im just going to use ceramic bio-rings like i use in my fluvals. You dont have to use what comes with them. Some people use pot scrubbers instead of ceramic bio-media too. You could use regular old gravel if you wanted, though it wont have near the surface area that the ceramic rings or pot scrubbers would have

I have a number of these Eheim 2028/2128 Canister filters. I have some with Ehiem Substrat Pro alone and some with Seachem Matrix alone and some that I use a basket of each in.

Seachem Matrix is cheaper then Eheims Substrat Pro media and looks more like Eheim's older Substrat product (small rocks not round).

I do not there is much difference between Eheim's and Seachem's product and I have had good results with each.

I also run a 100ml pouch of Seachem Purigen in all my canisters by placing slightly less biological media in the top basket.

I haven't priced up bio media lately, but the 'new' biomax from fluval looks like a quality product. I use that in my 405 and 305. The old biomax is a bit P.Q. looking though.

Back
Top Bottom