Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-12-2005, 05:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Or you can install a surface skimmer in the filter's inlet.

I am using Hagen's, been working great for 1 1/2 years.

The top will always draw the 1-2mm of water surface and the inlet will auto adjust with water's level.

vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:41 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
It could also be from your dechlorinator - often the ones that contain aloe or other plant products for slime coat will do this.

Inlet and outlet hoses will get gunked up, usually with diatoms but sometimes with light-colored bits too, so it is a good idea to use a hose brush from time to time to maintain good flow. Nothing to worry about.

That's a pretty cool surface skimmer, Vega, and would do the trick in this case since it does not disturb the surface. Normally I recommend aiming the spray bar across the surface to disrupt the film but when running CO2 it's not the best thing, and this solves that problem.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good thought, Tankgirl.

I am using Big Al's Multi-purpose Aquarium Water Conditioner... and it contains aloe vera. I trust that over time this will disappear? Maybe I should investigate the skimmer.

Over the years I have not used any conditioner when doing 25% water changes. I haven't lost fish nor seen any deleterious effects. Maybe I should go back to not using any.
yeldarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
I have used that Big Al's conditioner and is that stuff goopy, or what! That is a real giveaway - if it is viscous and thick then it might gunk up the tank and filter and everything else, and create scum on the surface. I think AquaSafe (yellow bottle) is goopy like that, too.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

control, eheim, flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com