Eheim 2215 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pentiumburner

Aquarium Advice Activist
Happy holiday all!,

I had a question about my carbon pad that takes the top position in my Eheim filter. The direction that come with the unit are very unclear, but in my previous experience I used to only use carbon as a start up for approx 2 weeks or add it after a sucessful treatment of the tank was done.

This is in a 40 gal FW tan with 2 Corys 2 Bala Sharks and a male and female betta.

Is this still good advice or should I leave the carbon in? The tank's Nitrates, Nitrites, and ammonia are always on the very low to almost zero end of the readings. Ph has stabilized as well to around 7.0-7.4. The water clarity always seems crystal clear, but I'm worried that the carbon may be filtering out helpful nutrients/bacteria.

You can leave the carbon in. Once exhausted, it will turn into an area for bacteria to grow. Having a HOB filter in addition to a canister is a good idea as a backup and it makes it really easy to use carbon and such.

Back
Top Bottom