Eheim 2217 noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

503fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First post! Returning to the hobby after many years. I've set up an 80 gallon tank with sand, rocks, and an Eheim 2217 cannister filter. But...

I am absolutely at the end of my rope trying to get the filter to be even reasonably quiet. I've tried two filters and an ADDITIONAL impeller and shaft. I've tried two sets of tubes, release valves, etc. I've cut the tubes shorter. I've primed by sucking, started with the filter full, empty, etc. I've flipped the impeller shafts. Jiggled the filter to release air (although I have seen air in there a number of times). I've probably spent 30 hours dealing with this and read every forum post I can find.

Always the same result - a loud motor noise that is quieted somewhat if I press my hand on the top of the filter.

Could this possibly be trapped air? Neither of the filters have ever run quiet at all. I tried the first one for over a week, twice, and the second one has been running for three days. Is the distance from the filter - at the bottom of the cabinet - to the top of the tank 5 feet up too much? Could it be sand? I haven't found any in the impeller or top of the filter, but some does leak out when I drain from the bottom tube. I recently flipped the intake so it's at the top of the tank to ensure no sand gets in.

As I said, I am losing my mind over this. I have not added fish (although I started a fishless cycle) and I obviously want to resolve this before I stock my African Cichlids. The tank is prominent in our living room and while a low noise would be OK, the current level is unacceptable and I'm sure not appropriate.

At this point I would do anything, including buy equipment or a better filter, if one exists, to solve the problem. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

The eheim 2217 is a very old design which has been on the market for over 25 years things have come a long way since then

All of the eheim pro models are a much better design and very easy to get started and primed

That said if you have had the same problem with 2 filters the problem must be something else like

The media packed to tight or you not having the plastic grill on top of the media the right way up making the media clash with the impeller

Thanks. I would love to get the Pro (100 gallon), but was nervous after seeing some mixed reviews on Amazon and I figured the 2217 was probably the most reliable given the time it's been in service. If consensus is that the Pro is as reliable, I could absolutely go that route. The tank is in the living room and a bad leak must be avoided at all costs.

I don't think the media is packed too tight. At one point i moved it to another cannister but have not been packing/unpacking with each effort on the hopes that a fishless cycle is in process. the grill is properly pointing up at the top. The media is not quite full (there is a gap from the spikes to the top), but I don't think that should cause problems?

I'm wondering if maybe there's sand somewhere I can't see it? I flipped the intake to the top of the tank to avoid sand intake, but only recently. Also, I now have the spraybar along the back (using a longer, bent connector tube), which I'm worried might impede flow a little and cause a noise, but again this is recent.

Thanks again. I'm very eager to get this resolved and bring home some fish!

All the pros are very easy compared to the classics

You need to fight the top of the filter to get a classic closed making sure the rubber ring is in place then fight with the metal clips on the sides

The pros are great

I have had pro pro 2 pro3 2080 pro3e 2078 all was great I just sold them as I needed a sump

At one time I run 2 x 2080s 2 x 2078 2 x 2252 all on one tank

The 2080 only needed cleaning out every 6 months and all I needed to do was change the white pad and wash the pre filter

Thanks again. I think I will try the Pro III 2078 - in any event, it seems much easier to maintain and I do not want to risk these issues once I have my fish (and bacteria) fully installed.

Back
Top Bottom