Eheim 2217 with Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone.

A while ago I had set up my eheim 2217 in my 55g in addition to the aqua clear 110 I had.

Disappointedly, my tank is still as clear as i wanted it to be. There are still pieces of plants, poop and other mini particle around. Dont get me wrong, i do weekly water changes.

I am not sure if this is because i have a prefilter over my intake for my aquaclear and my eheim filter. I understand that a power filter needs a prefilter to prevent sand from going in but I'm not sure about a canister.
I thought about removing the intake for the eheim so it can suck in the little particles but i am not sure if the sand willl break the filter.

My advice is to try it and see. Personally, all my filters on my 55 gal, 30 gal, and my 10 gal all do perfectly fine without prefilters. The sand seems to be heavy enough to not get sucked up.

smithpants94 said:
My advice is to try it and see. Personally, all my filters on my 55 gal, 30 gal, and my 10 gal all do perfectly fine without prefilters. The sand seems to be heavy enough to not get sucked up.

It's just that I intend to get African cichlids and they might spit sand.

greetings.

if you run one of those fine white filter pads at the top of the eheim canister, the sand will get caught in that before reaching the rotor (if that is where you are worried about damage being done)

I was in the same situation. When I clean out my canister there's only a little bit of grit in the bottom. And I'm always worried the the floss might get sucked up and do more damage than a little bit of sand.

nereksnad said:
greetings.

if you run one of those fine white filter pads at the top of the eheim canister, the sand will get caught in that before reaching the rotor (if that is where you are worried about damage being done)

Thanks! Do you happen to have a link for that?

Thanks! Do you happen to have a link for that?

eheim's website can't show the picture atm, but this sould be the item.

Classic Fine White Filter Pads
Model 2217
(art no. 2616175 - set of 3)

bare in mind i don't know if the sand can be sucked up from the buttom of the canister in the first place, but if it can this filter pad will block it from getting to the rotor.

Sand poses a problem to HOB filters because the impeller is by the intake, before any filter media. The Eheim canisters feed into the bottom, and the impeller is at the top by the outflow. I don't see a problem because any type of media will stem the flow of any sand that doesn't stay near the bottom. Fine filter pads won't hurt, but will clog if you wait too long between filter maintenance. In any case, it's good practice to turn off filters & heaters during PWC.

Slade said:
Sand poses a problem to HOB filters because the impeller is by the intake, before any filter media. The Eheim canisters feed into the bottom, and the impeller is at the top by the outflow. I don't see a problem because any type of media will stem the flow of any sand that doesn't stay near the bottom. Fine filter pads won't hurt, but will clog if you wait too long between filter maintenance. In any case, it's good practice to turn off filters & heaters during PWC.

I see. Thanks! How would I turn off the canister? Do I just unplug it?

i unplug my ehiem, as long as there is water in the intake hose when you plug it back it it automatically reprimes it

Back
Top Bottom