Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
eheim 2233 overkill on a 10 gal?

i'm gonna be converting my 40 gal breeder tank to saltwater soon, but i've still got 4 kuhlie loaches, 2 neons, and a glowlight tetra in it...i was thinkin of taking the eheim 2233 thats on the 40 right now and put it on the 10 and then putting all the fish in there? It would just be temporary till i find someone to take them from me...

would that filter be overkill for that tank and make too much flow? Its not really enough flow for the 40 that its in IMO...i think they're only rated to like 160 gph or something...great filter none the less tho.

sir_dudeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I think th current may be alitle stroing and the 2233 is rated up to 60gal. I mean you could use it but it will be moving alot of water. Also 10gal may be alittle small for the fish so find a home quick for them

richiestang_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does it have a throttle valve on the discharge?...If not maybe you can order one.

Just hooked up without valve to restrict flow I'm thinking its too much current.

50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok well i did it. IMO its perfect flow for freshwater..not strong at all. Those eheim eccos dont realy push out a lot of water at all...its only 160 gph...and all the fish are in the tank now too...i just used the water from the 40 and moved the eheim over too. So nothing in the water should change right? i mean all i have in the 10 is plastic plants sand and rocks...and the 2 kuhlies (got rid of 2! yay!) and 2 black neons and a glowlight...the only fish that i actually bought were the loaches..the others were just dumped at my place by someone..oh well
sir_dudeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com