Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

EHEIM CANSITER FILTER QUESTION

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1142202642961

is this filter good for fresh water? I have someone who wants to sell one that has been used for 100bucks worth it?

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depends on how big your tank is. It is probably overkill. You could get a brand new, smaller filter for less money.

Also, read these two articles:
1) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=304
2) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=426

How big is your tank?

29 Gal Planted, 1.2 wpg, Estes Gravel
gfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

my tank is 75g
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
Old 03-14-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
As far as I know, the only reason it says it's for marine is because of the materials the heater is made out of (corrosion resistant alloy) to make sure it lasts in saltwater. You would have no problem using it in fresh water (again, AFAIK).

You could buy a brand new filter for less, but if you know the filter wasn't abused, and you trust the person you are getting it from, it's a good buy.

-brent
Old 03-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do not know this person and what the filter went thru
Plants
Old 03-14-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Eheim 2026 running on my 58 gal - essentially the same filter without the inline heater. It's been running 24/7 for over two years without a problem. Like most brands, Eheims are designed to run in both fresh and salt water tanks.

The filter you see at Petsmart fpr $319 is selling at Big Als for $219. A used one for $100 is a good deal unless it's really old or missing parts. Don't forget that you may have to buy new media, which will run about $50.

Then again, you could get a brand new Fluval 404 (a darn good filter for the money) for less than $100 - media included. Whatever you do, be sure to shop around online - you could save yourself alot of money.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:14 AM   #7
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm planning to buy xp3 online I was just looking into this deal see if it was worth it or not to possibly add to the new 75g tank

Plants

Tags
eheim, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com