Eheim Classic 2215 filter leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

At first I wanted to buy a Fluval canister filter, but they told me, that Eheim is a "Cadillac" class filter, best on the market and if o-ring is OK it won't leak...

Then:
http://youtu.be/wsQ_8p5ntMk

The truth is, that Eheim 2215 Made in China is not at all like the old Eheim Made in Germany...

The plastic is so cheap, that after 8 month of use it deformed and start to leak. At first I think it was tubing problem or o-ring. But when it started to leak more - I found out a deformed plastic. Changing the tubing 3 times doesn't change anything...

Lucky me, my filter was in a 20 gallon plastic basket. Lucky me again, I have two Fluval C3 running over 29g tank. So my stock is out of danger I guess...

Now I'll contact Eheim and I'm ready to all those horror stories about it's non-existing warranty and support...

I'll keep you updated. The leak is a very serious issue...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418382089183.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418382089183.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 176
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418382113102.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418382113102.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 174
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418382128104.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418382128104.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 176
Wow, this scares me.
I just bought an Eheim 2217. Haven't used it yet. Anyway to find out where its made? Or are they all made in china
Do you have a picture of the box?

This never used to happen before.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry to hear that. I have 3 of these and haven't had that problem. Hope you get it resolved.

I love mine but after about 3 years of use I had the same problem. Big als fish store sells replacements. As soon as I got mine haven't had a problem.

That is so bad for Eheim. I had 2213 and its old so its retired now. My new one is 2217 and had no problems so far for 4 months now. Im an Eheim loyal aquarist cause of reliability. Any idea of other good brands?

By the way, do u have a bucket for your filters? That will help in case there is leakage.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That is so bad for Eheim. I had 2213 and its old so its retired now. My new one is 2217 and had no problems so far for 4 months now. Im an Eheim loyal aquarist cause of reliability. Any idea of other good brands?

By the way, do u have a bucket for your filters? That will help in case there is leakage.
I already changed the part and now is OK.

And yes, I have one idea about other good brand - is the sump!!! It's bigger, silence, flood free, you can move all the heaters there...

Only problem - you tank must be drilled and it's a little expensive. But my next tank will be drilled with the sump.

It the sump I'll put the plants to eat the nitrates, CO2 diffuser, heater, shrimps and snails. And some kind of live food that will feed my fishes and be safe for reproduce.

:fish1:

Eheim has been making these filters in china since early 2000 just an FYI... And I have seen people have these filters for like 6-10 years so if they all were this bad im sure people to this day wouldn't still be recommending them..

Im a tiny bit concerned as I just got a 2217 about 2 weeks ago for my 44g Pentagon tank.. But so far its been running perfect.. There aren't many options when it comes canisters..

You either have Marineland which we all know are terrible, or Fluval which all tend to have impeller problems loss of power over 6+ months even on there HOB filters they have impeller issues.. Or you can chose from Aquatop/Sunsun/ and the other 10 brands which are actually the same filter just rebranded to confuse people.

There really are only about 4 different brands for canisters. All of the others are just rebranded filters built by the same company.

You know those National Geographic Filters and other National Geographic items in Petsmart ? Those are rebranded Eheim Products.. And as I stated the Sunsun/aquatop, and all the other weird names for the Aquatop filter.. Those are all rebrands of the same item...

ALL of these products are made in china.. including fluval

FYI get yourself some hose clamps and a slightly smaller diameter hose.. that will probably fix your leak

If one uses an HOB style overflow box to feed the sump, then no drilling is needed. And when the power is off, then it will only drain momentarily until the water line in the overflow is below the spillway leading to to the drain hose. That is not the same as leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

source of air leak in Eheim 2215 confirmed

I have absolutely confirmed the source of the air leak in the Eheim 2215. I have found it in my original purchase and 2 replacements. Every one had the same defect. It is a manufacturing and/or design defect. The third replacement was a 350 which is the same filter with a different marketing designation.

You can correct the leak. It is in the elbow inlet at the bottom of the filter. It does not seal and allows the pump to suck in air. The fundamental problem is that the inlet side of this filter system should have had a larger diameter. The smaller designed tube is under too much draw pressure. You will note that the tube size on this filter is the same as the 2213, which has a pump with a lower draw pressure

Remove the elbow:
- Remove the o-ring and replace it with one that is the next size larger.
- Wrap at least 6 wraps of plumbers Teflon tape over threads
- Thread the elbow back in. It will be tight. Do this carefully so as to not crack the plastic.

Eheim "customer service" says they have never heard of this before.

Back
Top Bottom