Eheim Classic 2217 and filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zapero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I need some help. I currently have a 90 gallon freshwater tank. I have 2 EBJD's in it and have 4 more arriving tomorrow from out of state. Tank has been set up and running for over 4 months water perams are all good except my nitrate is at like 40.

I do weekly water changes of 30 percent. I have the canister filter, wet/dry trickle filter on it.

I have a brownish tint to the water. You can really notice it when its in the wet/dry near the sump. Is this due to dirty water? I have wood in the tank perhaps that is causing it?

I hooked up my HOB magnum with carbon to try to clear up the water and see what happens. I plan to do a water change tomorrow before the new fish arrive.

Can anyone explain to me how I should have my eheim set up. Would doing a clean on it help bring nitrates down?

Thanks

Firstly, great filter choice!

Secondly your water can appear dis-coloured if you've recently added driftwood.

Thirdly if your nitrate is high you need to either reduce how much you feed the fish and/or do more/bigger water changes. Your filter won't reduce your nitrates.

The best way to lower your nitrates is with large water changes 50%+ and draining the water from your filter (Luckily this is a breeze with the classics).

As for your setup...if you got it working that's really all you need, they're pretty simple filters at heart.

I added driftwood a while ago so i dont think its that.

As for the water changes ill bump it up to 50 percent instead of the 30 or maybe do two 30s a week for a while and see if that helps.

as far as my eheim, i bought it used and they way i have it setup after cleaning tonight... is blue course pad on bottom. large bag of the ceramic rings and the ceramic balls i assume it came with in the middle, and then the white floss pad on top.

Will this work?

Although I didnt actually replace any of the pads which i prob should have... since my bene bact is on the ceramic rings and balls that are in the bag correct?

Thanks

I added driftwood a while ago so i dont think its that.

As for the water changes ill bump it up to 50 percent instead of the 30 or maybe do two 30s a week for a while and see if that helps.

as far as my eheim, i bought it used and they way i have it setup after cleaning tonight... is blue course pad on bottom. large bag of the ceramic rings and the ceramic balls i assume it came with in the middle, and then the white floss pad on top.

Will this work?

Although I didnt actually replace any of the pads which i prob should have... since my bene bact is on the ceramic rings and balls that are in the bag correct?

Thanks

Ummm....you did take the balls out of the plastic bag right?

haha ya the guy had the filter running beforehand. the balls are in a mesh bag and it is the size of the filter **** near.

haha ya the guy had the filter running beforehand. the balls are in a mesh bag and it is the size of the filter **** near.

Ah that makes more sense :D Wouldn't blame anyone who didn't though, Eheim instructions are borderline useless :banghead:.

How long is 'a while' regarding your driftwood? Tanin residue tends to build up so I wouldn't be ruling that out straight away.

Bit different from normal but that sounds fine re: media order, this is the normal media order...

EHEIM-2217-CLASSIC-MUSLUKLU-KARGO-BIZDEN__38760861_0.jpg

I've had my 2217s going for around 6 months and have only replaced the white filter wool. I'd leave it for another 3 months or so and replace the filter wool then.

Well the woods been in there for about 4 months.

2 of my pieces I have had in other tanks before and the other piece was purchased 4 months ago.

That is the order if you are not using biomedia such as rings and balls isnt it?

I'm pretty sure that's the setup of mine except the balls/tubes are under the second green divider...you've got me questioning myself though so would have to open them up to check -.-

As for your water, if you haven't added anything to your tank recently like substrate, driftwood or rocks I'd say it's likely as a result of being overstocked/overfeeding, which would also explain your nitrate level...

Well its 90 gallons and I have 2 small EBJD's and 2 small balas 2 small tiger barbs and a tiny redtail shark... I dont think its overstocked. feeding once a day.

Definitely not overstocked.

No old rotting/decaying plants? Nitrates have to come from somewhere :/

Im thinking it was a combo of not vacuuming under my wood and caves because today i pulled nastyness out of there. and my canister was very dirty.

checked the water again and now its around 20 ppm.

Also, If im getting rid of the balas, barbs, and shark and replacing with 4 juvi EBJD can i pull them out a couple hours before I get the new ones? or should I wait

Back
Top Bottom