Eheim Classic Cannister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmccluer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought and put in my 55 FW an Eheim classic canister. As you all know, the manual with it is something to be desired, but thats the only complaint I have against it. It has kept the water crystal clear, and all parameters in check. However I know it needs to be cleaned but of course the manual is if no help. The only thing the manual says is to remove the carbon filter and that's it.

I know how to shut it down and power it back up, but do I clean the bio material and put it back in, throw it away or what? And do I clean the carbon filter and put it back in?

Any help appreciated!

I take out the sponges etc and clean those. I just pour off the water and leave the bio media stuff alone. They are great filters.

You don't rinse out the bio? Especially my first bio has alot of dirt in it, I can see it from outside?

When you pour out the water most of the gunk comes with it. I see no reason to rinse it much more than that. I generally pop it open rinse the sponges in dechlorinated water and throw out the floss. Pour all the water out fill it back up with dechlorinated water, if that water looks scuzzy I will pour it off and refill one more time. Then I put the pads back in, add new floss and hook her back up.

Ok cleaning wise. Whenever u notice ur water flow reduces then take out filter media and rinse them in old aquarium water. As for carbon alot of debates goes on about whether to remove or keeping it in ur filter allowing it to act as a bacteria breeding ground. But to be on the safe side replace carbon with more biomedia and sponges. Theres no real need for carbon, the only time u need it is to remove medication or tannins.

Another thing if u have unusually high nitrate, it's mostly from ur filter. So when that happens clean Ur filter and biomedia in old aquarium water again.

And never replace ur sponges and biomedia until it's falling apart

What kinda biomedia are u using?

I'm using what came with the filter, which is the carbon, the cylinder with holes bio, then the pea shaped, then the white clarifier.

Well, got it done! I was right, it was filthy! The only prob I had was getting air out, but finally got it flowing. Much better!

But the dirty water on the strawberries and roses, they will be happy too! LOL! Thanks for advice guys!

I typically give my bio media a rinse as well. Probably not all that necessary, as Rich has said, but I'm kind of OCD when it comes to water parameters. I just go out on the deck or the front porch (depending on which tank I'm doing a pwc on) and use the end of my siphon tube to clean my bio media while draining half my tank

I just filled a bucket with water, put in aquasafe, rinsed everything off with that, cleaned the bottom part with a hose, cleaned the hoses and the impeller and put it back together. Will have to get some floss for the next time though.

Back
Top Bottom