eheim ecco 2234

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
is the eheim ecco 2234 good enough for a 55 gallon aquarium? because i have a 2233 on a freshwater 40 and its fine, but the 2234 gets the same rating as my 2233, and sometimes the people put the rating way highter than it realy is so i dont know what to get..the reason i'm asking is because i found it for only 70 bucks

sir_dudeguy said:
is the eheim ecco 2234 good enough for a 55 gallon aquarium? because i have a 2233 on a freshwater 40 and its fine, but the 2234 gets the same rating as my 2233, and sometimes the people put the rating way highter than it realy is so i dont know what to get..the reason i'm asking is because i found it for only 70 bucks

When dealing with marine systems you want bigger filtration to help maintain stability. Most freshwater animals are adapted to wider fluxes of change. I find many canisters to build up lots of waste debris within their mechanics and hoses to bother using them with marine systems. The wider structure of the Rena and Via Aqua canisters are better than the thin 'tubes' of Eheims Eccos and even Fluvals. If dealing with reef...don't bother with a canister and just maybe get or make a sump system. Easier to deal with anyway and the heater can go in it too instead of in the tank. A skimmer can be put on the sump instead of the tank. A refugium can be constructed using a sump. Lots of benefits having a sump system. Worth the extra cost in the long run.

It may seem like a killer deal being only $70, but it may become a useless investment with the particular environment you choose to create and eventually end up costing you more money in the long run.

Sorry to butt in but do you think with 58 pounds of LR in my 50 gallon my biowheel 350 will keep up? I plan on making somewhat of a reef in there.

do you think with 58 pounds of LR in my 50 gallon my biowheel 350 will keep up?

The LR is your bio. The HOB really doesn't serve much to the tank. Not even for trapping debris. It does provide water flow and surface movement, but that's about it except to run carbon for a week once a month. You don't want to run carbon 24/7 in a reef environment. It's been known to deplete trace elements making a need for frequent supplimental replacement. Just have a skimmer and/or refugium and a couple of water pumps. That's really all a reef environment needs for extra filtering. The rock and substrate is the bio.

Back
Top Bottom