Eheim Ecco not worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just picked up an eheim ecco 2232 and stupidly I didn't check what it looked like first. The thing looks TINY. This is for a 20 gallon of course. The 135 gph is okay I suppose, sufficient. But there's no room in this thing to put any other filter media. It's just their silly O shaped pre filter, a floss pad and a sack of their bio-media. No room for customization, not even a bag of purigen. I'm thinking of grabbing the next size up. Does anyone know from experience whether it has an extra basket for stuff you want?

I have an classic 2211 for a 30 gal and the Ecco 2271 for a 40 gallon (its rated 60) and absolutely love the Ecco over the classic.

On the Ecco, the instructions said to use only half of their biomedia if you wanted to use a substitute.

The Ecco keeps the water in pristine condition.

If you give it a chance, I'd bet you'll like it a lot.

My little 2211 is very good, but the Ecco is great, in my opinion.

Is this for your 20 high?

Another tank. I got a 20 long also now haha. But anyways. I decided for the extra 20 bucks I might as well grab the ecco 2236. It has THREE filter baskets. I almost fainted from glee. Thanks for the input though.

Oh yeah, if you have the extra bucks, go as big as you can.

I'm really sold on the Eheims.

I have a Fluval cannister on a 50 turtle tank and it does an amazing job, but its a pain compared to the Eheims when it comes to maintenance.

this is pissing me off. I've got the 2236 up and running but the it's loud as a mother...I know from deductive reasoning it's something up with the impeller...but a new impeller is 40 dollars. I don't think they will let me return this thing now either as I've made some...modifications...to the tubing and inlet and outlet.

Dang.

Is it just air in there? Or can you hear the impeller grating?

Open Eheim Trouble Ticket

Call Eheim direct on their 1-800 customer service line (from their web page) and open a trouble ticket (do not open a web ticket as they never seem to respond). They will want you to email or fax a copy of your receipt to verify your purchase.

I have a number of Eheim canisters (over 15 in total) with 4 being their lower end Ecco models (all three sizes). Your Ecco should be running so quiet you would not even know it is turned on (if it is making that much noise there is a problem with assembly or the impeller).

Remember there is actually two parts to Eheim impeller assemblies. The expensive magnetic body and a removable plastic tail piece with fins that pops off the end.

Eheim has sent me new impeller fin tail pieces for free which have cured various canister issues in the past. These impeller tail pieces can only be gotten direct from Eheim (as compared to buying an expensive new impeller assembly which can be purchased online).

Eccos are not as good as their higher end Pro II or Pro III models which can be gotten for a minimal extra price but they are fine for smaller tanks if care is taken.

Some things to watch out for now that you have an Ehiem Ecco Canister(from past experience):

1) No motor burn out protection (NEVER run them without water flow or the motor will overheat and burn out in no time). Pro II and Pro III models have motor burn out protection.

2) Manual shutoff values (remember to UNPLUG filter and close BOTH shutoffs before disconnecting either shutoff valve or water will drain out fast). Pro II and Pro III models have auto shutoff values for both hoses.

3) If you run flow wide open then water flow can drop relatively quickly if the white (fine pad) gets dirty. Make sure your output flow is directed up at the water surface which will agitate it for better oxygen turnover (also making it easier to see when the flow is decreasing and that filter needs to be cleaned). Pro II and Pro III models take much longer to clog. If you place some type of white pre-filter in the tank over the Ecco input strainer it will take alot longer for the filter to get dirty inside (just watch that filter and pop it off and clean it when it gets dirty leaving the filter running).

4) Be very careful with the Ecco handles and the Handle locking clips. The handle pivots on two (one each side) replaceable locking clips which can break very easy if you force (lift) the handle too fast when priming. Even though I take care I have broken one handle and two locking clips over the years. I have purchased extra Ecco handle parts to have on hand so I can quickly repair them (since I have more than one Ecco). Broken Ecco handles or clips is the number one complaint about these specific filters.

5) Watch the filter basket connections. The internal baskets spin together and lock with little tabs. The only was to easily remove the baskets from the canister is to lift them out all connected at one time by the top basket handle. If you did not get them spun together all the way when it was assembled one or more baskets can fall off (spilling contents on the floor). ALWAYS carry the assembled baskets with one hand on top and the other hand on the bottom.

6) You actually have the latest Ecco Pro model with the blue donut pre-filter on the top. The original Ecco models have a blue solid pre-filter on the bottom. I have both model types. They both use the same white fine filter pads. I never replace the blue coarse pre-filter pads and just wash them out good in the sink (this kills their bacteria but that is what the BIO media is for) and reuse. You could just rinse them well in tank water as well but you get more pressure at the sink. ALWAYS replace the white fine filter pads (which you can buy three at a time without a coarse pad) when cleaning the filter.

7) Eheim makes more expensive modular Intake and Spray Bar kits ($25 each) in 12/16 mm sizes that work great on the Ecco tubing. These allow their use on deeper tanks and allow more options on return water flow.

Personally I just use my Eccos for mechanical and chemical filtration and run them at a much reduced flow rate and they can go practically forever without cleaning. I depend on seperate Pro II and Pro III models on each tanlk to actually perform my BIO filtration.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom