Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Eheim Filter 2260

I am planning on buying an Eheim Canister filter model 2260 in the near future for a large tank. Anyone have any experience with this filter? Or Eheim filters in general? They are a bit pricey, but are they worth it? What about durability? How long do they last? Any experienced advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

ive got an eheim 2013 which is an older version of their 2213, same exact thing as far as i can tell. it was my first experience with a canister filter and it took me some getting used to but now a few months later its working great, no problems at all. i use it on my 45 gal piranha tank and theyre really messy eaters but the filter does its job very well. i also have an eheim 1262 pump for my reef setup, no problems with that so far yet either.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Eheim is one of the better canisters on the market. The ones I have had in the past were great
Old 01-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i would be more tempted to get an fx5, theyre simple, easy, and proven... not to mention cheaper

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aren't canister filters no good for saltwater setups? I was led to believe they turn into nitrate factories. I have a nice Fluval 205 I took down after a week of having it because I was told it wasn't as good as a sump/refugium.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

they can become a source of high nitrates in fw or sw. Bi-weekly cleaning will prevent this for the most part. I clean mine every other week and havent had any issues with nitrates since i started doing so. Before i started cleaning every other week, my nitrates got up above 100 at one point.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
they can become a source of high nitrates in fw or sw. Bi-weekly cleaning will prevent this for the most part. I clean mine every other week and havent had any issues with nitrates since i started doing so. Before i started cleaning every other week, my nitrates got up above 100 at one point.
So are you saying a canister filters is as efficient as a sump/refugium as far as filtration as long as you clean them enough?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have an Eheim Pro II 2026 and it's SO quiet, I don't even know it's running. The only "problem" I had was the intake/outlet valve on the top of the filter cracked once, and I couldn't figure out why every time I plugged in my filter after cleaning it would start to leak. So I took it all apart and finally discovered that there was a hairline fracture in the plastic casing on the valve which was allowing water to escape every time it started to flow after priming. I ran right out and replaced that piece - I think it cost me about $15 but it was worth it, otherwise I would have bought a whole new filter, and Eheim filters are quite expensive. I thought it might be the O-ring on the inside of the filter, so I bought another one and when I replaced it, the filter continued to leak, and then I found the crack. I don't know how it got cracked because I'm usually very careful with the parts, and it happened when I was at home. Had it not, there could have been a lot of angry people in the apartment below me!

I love my Eheim... I'm so glad I did my homework before I bought an outside canister filter. It's been one of my best investments.

Tags
eheim, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com