eheim filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an eheim ecco 2232 canister filter for my 26 gallon. Does anyone have an idea on how often to replace the filter media in the canister? I'm using the eheim substrat pro that came with it..

I did a quick google search and I read a post saying:

"I also seem to remember a six month recommendation as far as switching it
out, so this is what I have always followed. I switch half of the Substrat
in each filter and never replace it all in one time."

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. :)

in the 2.5 years that i have had my ehiem, i have NEVER replaced the circle rings and have only partially replaced the substrat rock stuff (i think that is what it was called).

There is no real need to replace it if it is still fairly white in color. When it gets to be very grey slowly phase it out.

If you have those ceramic rings, there is no real need to replace those at all. They last a LONG time.

I've had my Eheim for over two years, and I've never replaced the ceramic rings either - just rinsed them in tank water once. I replaced about a third of the substrat media when I set up my 29 gal, and used it to seed my Fluval.

The only regular maintenance I do on my cannisters is a rinse of the fiber pads every six months or so. I replace the fine pad once a year.

If you have pre-filter sponge, and filter floss in one of the compartments, your porous biomedia can go years without clogging and needing replacement if it is down-flow of the mechanical filtration.

Yes, I just rinse the foam out, wash the rings, and PERHAPS will replace SOME of the Substrat. Since I do this maybe once evry three months or so, the filter is simply awesome for keeping operating costs near $0. Eheims are great in that they require little maintenance over the long term.

I've never replace4d the ceramic noodles either only addedd more.... i do change the filter wool every seccond clean.... but never touch the noodles or bio balls!

Back
Top Bottom