Eheim or Fluval ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Volker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
First let me say that I really enjoy reading through this board. It supported my decision to get started with a FW aquarium.

Today I ordered a 46 gallon bow front by Oceanic from my LFS.
I haven't made a decision yet on what fish to get, I want to take it slow and do everything right.

My next decision is getting a filter/heater, I guess.
For the filter I'm unsure between a Fruval 304/404 and Eheim 2026/2028 or 2126/2128.

My question: does the more money buy you a proofen better device ?

Thanks,
Volker

The issue of which canister filter is better constantly comes up. The main focus on the one you choose should be: Reliability, gph, flexibility of media and ease of use.

I currently have the fluval 404 and it has served me very well. If you would like to see it in action, take a look at my clickys.

Welcome to AA!

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback.
I continued reading and decided to go with the Eheim.
I like the idea of having the heater integrate.

Anybody experience with that ?

And is it worth to go with the larger Eheim because of the additional tray (hope I'm correct... the small one has 2 the larger 3 trays?)

What are you filling your trays with ?

Thanks.

Remeber, you can use an in-line heater with any canister, so you don't have to buy an Eheim just to avoid a heater in the display tank. I have no experience with Eheims, but I have looked tham over in the box many times. The sure do look good. They are always pushed by the fish stores, either because they are superior, or their higher price provides superior profit to the LFS. Never buy one from the LFS without checking out the online prices first, somtimes the online prices are 50% less! I have heard good things about Eheims, Fluvals, and Cascades.

Oh, uses your trays for mechanical filtration (floss), and for biologic. Eheim will give you some biosubstrate with the filter. If you want more, the seachem stuff looks a lot like the eheim stuff and is cheaper. If you have three baskets, make two biologic and one mechanical. If four, make two mechanical (1 coarse? and one floss?) and two biologic. Skip the charcoal, unless you have a specific need for it.

I must also vouch for the reliability and quiet running Eheim. These filters will last you a decade or more - with 17-20 year old models reportedly still running great. I have no experience with Fluvals but they certainly have their fans as well.

Usually Eheims will come with media, but you can put anything in there that you want. In my heavily planted tanks I do not use floss for mechanical filtration, but only coarse sponges and rigid media like ceramic noodles. In my African tanks I use the rigid media and the floss.

Thanks a lot everybody for your input and advice.
I went with the Eheim 2028 and take an inline heater (thanks TomK2).
I ordered both today. However one thing give me a headache .. are the tubes the same size ?
I know that the ETH is 5/8, but wasn't able to find out what the Eheim 2028 has.

I would bet the eheim uses 5/8 or 3/4 inch tubing, wich will work with the ETH. If not, go to the home store and buy tubing and connectores to splice the heater in line, no problem. But I am sure it will work.

ok, the weekend came and went and not everything went according to plan.
Friday afternoon UPS brought the 2 boxes from Bigals.
Heater, Filter and other necessities.

The good news ? The tubes from Eheim are 16/22 mm and work witht the ETH :)
The bad news ? Somebody in the packing department (either Bigals or Eheim) had a bad hair day.
The lever that allows to connect/disconnect the tubing was in the up position and therefore slighty to high to close the carton. When I unpacked I already saw the crack in the lid of the filter box carton. The lever was cracked in the middle and 2 parts of actually thick plastic were lying inside the box.
Ok, long story short, I called and ordered a new one and they will send the return label to send the defect one back.

At that moment I saw myself sitting here on the weekend with my aquarium and no functioning pump. But guess what... my aquarium didn't make it. I had ordered it on Saturday, they received their deliveries on Thursday (at which day the guy was supposed to call me) and he wanted to drop by on Friday evening. He didn't call on Thursday and not on Friday, I called him 3 times and stopped by the store where I heard from somebody else that the stand and the canopy made it, but not the aquarium. He later called me and said the aquarium made it but not the stand and canopy... Anyway, no sense in getting either part without the other.

So somehow nothing worked but still everything was in sync :)

In additional to that we went out and got ourselfs a 10 gallon set and a few tetra.
Phanton, Longtail, Redeye and Blackskirts.

Back
Top Bottom