Eheim Plus 2215 vs ProQuatics 1600 vs Marineland Magnum 220

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which would you choose?

• ProQuatics 1600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marineland Magnum 220

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am creating a mid to heavily live planted 29 gal freshwater aquarium. I choosen to use a canister filter. I have narrowed it down to 3, the Eheim Plus 2215, the ProQuatics 1600, and the Marineland Magnum 220. I've heard good things about all of them. The only negative reviews I have found have been for the Eheim. Several people claiming the gph did not match the values given on the box an that they were fragile. I would appreciate anyone's opinion if you own one of the three models or not.

Thank you. I have heard good things about all of them but it is hard to get a honest reply at a store where people are trying to sell you something. I would appreciate comments about the biggest problem to the smallest advantage. Price is not a factor. Thank you to anyone who replies.

I have had an Eheim 2215 for years and there is nothing fragile about them. Eheim is really going to be one of the best filters you can buy, and you can definitely find cheaper. All filters (AFAIK) are rated without media, so none of them are going to have exactly the flow that they claim, and Eheim is no exception.

The "classic" series, like the 2215, is something of a pain to clean out, as it does not have trays like othe canister filters, but still I expect this filter to last me 15 years or more, based on their history. That is worth a lot.

I don't have experience with the other filters you are considering, but I also have a Rena Filstar XP3, and I love this filter. It is not expensive but is extremly well made. I think an XP2 would work for you, and not break the bank.

Good luck!

I think I am going to go with that because price isn't much of a factor and I would rather spend a lot of money on one filter than buy lower costing and lower quality and having to buy it again.

I would apppreiate any other opinoins. I haven't made my choice yet. Any comment on these or other canister filters would help.

Go with the Eheim. It is a bit harder to maintain, but should last for a very long time of troublefree service. Once you actually get your hands on an Eheim, you can definitely tell it is a quality product. Not so much with the Magnum which has an overall "cheap" feel to it.

TankGirl brought the XP2 filstar to my attention which I never knew about it is cheaper than the Eheim and works just as well from all the reviews I can find. What do you think about it?

I have the Eheim 2215 on a 44gal, along with an Emperor 400 (did I ever mention I am the queen of overfiltration :lol: ) I ran the 2215 for several years on a 55gal and it seemed to be fine for that, but I don't think it was quite enough.

The long-term satisfaction/reliability rating for the Filstar line is not available, but it shows promise. I plan on putting the Filstar to the test, and would buy one again. In the future I will probably save my shekels and wait until I can afford an Eheim Pro II series.

hey tank girl, did you see my thread that i made about the eheim 2328? if so, let me know what you think...

*apologizes for blatant hijacking of thread*

Nope - got 500 threads to look through, seems like, LOL! I am waaay behind. I'll check it out :)

Back
Top Bottom