Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question Eheim Pump ok?

So I was reading that the Eheim pumps put out a little less heat and use a little less power than the Mag drive pumps. So naturally I was thinking about getting one. They are a bit more money, BUT I figure with the long run power bills maybe it will be worth it.

BUT I did notice that I did not see a Eheim that was over 900gph ratting.

Now this tank I am setting up will be my first overflow system. Previous tank had cannister filters, so I am open to ideas and feedback.

My big question right now is - Will 900gph be ok for a 110g tank with a in stand refugium? Iv heard you need a bit less flow though a Fuge compared to a sump anyway.

So what do you guys and gals think? any ideas? or Suggestions?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
It all depends on your overflow. What is it rated for? If you have a 600 gph overflow, match that with the pump, accounting for head loss. You don't want to be pumping more than the overflow can return to the sump.

Eheim is a quality pump.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

How do I check the overflow rating? Lets say If I bought a used drilled tank, and the owner had no idea what it was rated at?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Ask the previous owner what pump he used . Most predrilled tanks are 1" bulkheads. A 1" pipe drains about 600 gph.

Here's a good Drain/Overflow calculator.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will have to check, its like brand new , he just had it for some reason. guess he never got around to setting it up.

I will have to call or measure the hole size, I know he did not drill it himself. It is an All Glass Aquarium 110g pre drilled

Tags
eheim, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com