Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Eheim Quality Question

After reading a lot of opinions here on canister filters, I decided to get an Eheim Classic 2213 for my new 40g tank. The opinion of an LFS owner has made me think twice.

While visiting a large store in the Phila. suburbs (Worldwide Aquarium in Upper Darby), the owner said that she use to be the major Eheim distributor in the area for many years but has recently sent all her stock back to the factory and will no longer carry the brand. She said the quality has gone down hill; she was getting a lot of returns. She specifically mentioned a change in the impeller materials has caused problems. (I don't know what models the impeller issue applies to.)

So here are my questions: Has anyone had problems with an Eheim Classic that they bought in the last few years? Has anyone heard of a similar quality concern with Eheim?

Old 06-03-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
you know ... i personally own an Eheim 2213 ... i will NEVER buy any other brand unless i am really strapped for cash at the time. Comparing an Eheim to brands like Rena Filstars and Fluvals is like comparing apples to oranges. Now, i have used Aquaclear, penguin, emperor, Marineland products etc.... and my eheim is still by far the best filter i have used hands down!

I can understand your LFS person not carrying Eheims anymore. They are more expensive then most any other filter on the market today, but you get what you pay for ... QUALITY. I am almost willing to bet that the LFS owner sent it back becuse they couldn't move teh product at all. But then again, that is just my own thoughts and opinions.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

While I have never owned an Eheim all I hear is great things about them - German engineering is so nice If there has been a drop in quality recently this is the first I've heard of it.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman
It makes me stop to wonder - first I can't depend on lfs owners/employees to give me good information on fish, and now it doesn't look like we can't even depend on some to give out good information about equipment.

VOTE NOW FOR AQUARIUM ADVICE!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have an Eheim 2217. This lfs owner may have a valid point. I did have to replace the impeller and shaft in under a years operation. Hmmm. Never thought about it before.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman
It makes me stop to wonder - first I can't depend on lfs owners/employees to give me good information on fish, and now it doesn't look like we can't even depend on some to give out good information about equipment.
That's why you have us! I rarely hear of quality issues with Eheim. Personally I have used the 2213 in the past and loved it. My housing cracked in a recent move and it is out of operation for now. Quality issues? Not really. Opinions on which is best? There you will get lots of input! 8O
4 Julii Corys
WooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I am almost willing to bet that the LFS owner sent it back becuse they couldn't move teh product at all. But then again, that is just my own thoughts and opinions.
I have to agree with SerLuchbox on this . I own an eheim 2229 wet/dry filter and paid 249.00 at big al's and my LFS wanted 375.00 for the same filter. 8O LFS can't possibly move these at that price when available for much less on line. I am very pleased with the superior quality of my filter and its performance.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am using a 2317 in my 70 gallon tank and have not had any problems, yet (knock on wood). I liked the filter so much I bought another one for my future 90 gallon tank. Al's seems to have the best price.

Just MHO 8)
Old 06-05-2005, 01:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think slowboat hit the nail on the head, LFS can't compete with online dealers such as Big Al's, so they drop the higher end equipment. I have a 2217 on my 90 gal tank and love it. Although mine is pretty new, Eheim is known for their longevity and parts are easy to find. I would definitely buy this brand again. BTW mine is also super quiet. JMO
Old 06-05-2005, 01:45 AM   #10
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Have not bought an Eheim classic recently, but I have a couple that have been running forever....no quality issues here.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eheim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com