Eheim vs Sun Sun vs API

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is for a 120l / 31G, shallow planted tank.

Trying to narrow down some filters and wonder which is preferred.

Eheim Classic 2215

SunSun 302

API Filstar XP-M

I only have experience with the 302. I got it in May and haven't had any issues with it. I had it in a 29g tall and the flow wasn't as strong as I wanted and added a circulation pump. But for a shallower tank it would have been fine. Here is an old video of my tank highlighting the flow.
https://youtu.be/Kp_gPlrvCok

I only have experience with the 302. I got it in May and haven't had any issues with it. I had it in a 29g tall and the flow wasn't as strong as I wanted and added a circulation pump. But for a shallower tank it would have been fine. Here is an old video of my tank highlighting the flow.
https://youtu.be/Kp_gPlrvCok
Hmm, not much movement there.

I have a bunch of small powerheads around which I can definitely use.

Can you fit much media in SunSun's?

The API is a really great filter, easy to prime and start , nice sized media baskets and some come with adjustable flow spray bars...

Price point the API is probably in the middle with Eheim most expense and sun sun least expensive....

I agree TMaier I have the Sun Sun and the flow is definitely less than I expected.

I had mine stuffed full of media that probably was part of the flow issue. It fits a lot.

There are videos on YouTube of set up for this exact model. Will probably help with capacity info.

Sun sun is solid in my room, had one out of 3 fail, it was 304 and that's a lot of water. For the money.. can't beat em.. if a 302 isn't pushing enough flow than there is always a 303b.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had mine stuffed full of media that probably was part of the flow issue. It fits a lot.

There are videos on YouTube of set up for this exact model. Will probably help with capacity info.
Well I'm pretty new to planted tanks but am I right in thinking that flow isn't completely integral to them?

This coming from an African Cichlid guy who needs 15x turnover..

I don't use Co2 but the real plant guys (I'm a poser) talk flow like religion. I was seeing algae in the dead spots. Flow cleared it up.

Well I'm pretty new to planted tanks but am I right in thinking that flow isn't completely integral to them?

This coming from an African Cichlid guy who needs 15x turnover..

Flow is integral in planted tanks. Turnover isn't flow.. flow is king, every leaf needs a tickle..

I don't use Co2 but the real plant guys (I'm a poser) talk flow like religion. I was seeing algae in the dead spots. Flow cleared it up.
The force is strong with this one;)

Flow is integral in planted tanks. Turnover isn't flow.. flow is king, every leaf needs a tickle..

The force is strong with this one;)

Thx!

My new Sunsun 703B is a bit more $ but it has perfect flow and UV I can turn on if I want to. I'll post a video.

https://youtu.be/CJ5d7tB-bTA

Last edited:
Hahaha. It's substantial that's for sure. I have it in a bag in there to help pull it out and drop it in. I'm a whimpy girl but my tank is worth it!

Here is the 302.
https://youtu.be/NmANQe7JjJI
Im very tempted by the price, I could probably find two SunSun's for the price of one 2215.

But the reliability and build quality of an Eheim, plus the glowing reviews for them.

Decisions, decisions...

This was my first canister and I had a real hard time ponying up for the name brands.

This was my first canister and I had a real hard time ponying up for the name brands.
Well I've had it with reliability since literally everything has fallen apart for me this past week.

I'll end up going for Eheim and perhaps get a Sunsun on the side for mechanical or something.

Eheim 2215 is what I am using in a 30 gallon. Look at Drs. Foster and Smith for specifications. Ehiem numbers for water output are actually true to specs...other filter companies exaggerate their results.

Been using my ehiem 2215 now for more than two years....quiet running....seems to live up to its name on reliability.

Back
Top Bottom