Ehiem Jäger Thermocontrol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaholic1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi to everyone reading and potentially helping me out.

I've recently purchased Ehiem Jager 100w heater for a 90L, 23us gal aquarium. I am just wondering if anyone has the same experience as me or an answer to what's going on.

So I installed the heater yesterday to the filled aquarium with 26C water, the heater is set to 26C also so let it sit for an hour then plugged it in. It powered up straight away stayed on for 1 minute then turned off, great. Checked it periodically through the evening and it seemed fine however when I came down this morning the temperature was 25.2c and the heater was off. Then I noticed it had turned on, 25 minutes later it was still on and the water was 25.5C.

Looked like the heater was trying to get back up to 26C but why would let the water drop that low in the first place??

Anyone have a similar experience or know what to do. Bare in mind it's a brand new heater fresh out the box.

Thanks in advance!

Eheim Jagers have to be calibrated. Once calibrated they are spot on. I would watch some YouTube videos on calibration of the Jager.

Eheim Jagers have to be calibrated. Once calibrated they are spot on. I would watch some YouTube videos on calibration of the Jager.

I did see that they need calibration but though it would just work correctly at the wrong temp where as this doesn't seem to be working like my cheapo Chinese one does (15 mins off 1.30 mins on)

Great that's what I like to hear! I'll calibrate tonight.
Do I move the red arrow to the temperature it's working then move the blue temperature dial the the desired temperature?

Do I move the red arrow to the temperature it's working then move the blue temperature dial the the desired temperature?

Yes. However, be aware that those heaters have about a two degree Fahrenheit spread so make sure you sample over a period of time. In other words, if you set them at 78 they will let the temp fall to 77 before turning on and 79 before turning off. In Celcius it would be less degrees but still basically the same theory.

Looks like it's properly calibrated now as it shuts off and the desired temp of 25c however it drops to 24.7c then turns on for 26mins and shuts off for approximately 2 hours as it drops to 24.7c. Does this sound normal? My old heater was 2.30 mins on 15mins off all day and maintained the temp the same as the eheim is.

The eheim's do not have a very tight window so that sounds normal to me.

The eheim's do not have a very tight window so that sounds normal to me.

Ahh cool thanks for that the fish in the tank are pretty happy so i'm not too worries now just curious as it's so different from any heater I've ever used.

That's what I'm hoping for I've bought a 200W one for my other tank

The Eheim Jager is, in my opinion, one of the best heaters on the market. That being said, my personal position is that nobody makes a quality heater for aquarium use.

I would pay a substantial premium for a consistent, quality aquarium heater but that is not something currently on the market.

In the meantime, I run all my heaters with a secondary controller in order to minimize losses. I also under-size most of my heaters so that if the worse happens there is a limit to how high the temp can get.

It's doing a pretty good job I'm happy with it fluctuating by .3 degrees Celsius i just find it weird that it is on for 26 minutes plus and off for hours. When I was calibrating it in a bucket I was swirling the water round with my hand and I did touch the heater a few times when it was on and it wasn't very hot I could hold it in my hand for a good few seconds until I didn't want to risk it any further but it certainly didn't burn.

If the room temp is not that different from the tank temp it may take a while to cool down. On the other hand, the heater may be able up to heat the tank up fairly quickly.

Here is a pic from my main display tank which shows similar behavior with a different heater.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 161
I think that's what it is. If i up the temperature of the heater to 26c it stays dead on 26c about 4 mins on 11 off. But at 25c it's 26 mins on 2 hours of so that must be must closer to my ambient room temperature at the moment hence why it's off for so long.

Back
Top Bottom