Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
In general, this is bad advice. Removing that solid debris before it breaks down will slow the rise of nitrates. Perhaps in a heavily planted tank, you may want the extra ammonia and nitrates created, but in many tanks (perhaps even most) this would be bad advice.

It's Bradbury... He has 'water change' tattooed on his forehead.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Nothing wrong with water changes. I agree totally with him on that. Water changes are very important. You can't change too much water. However, I am a proponent of removing debris before it can break down. That means removal from the tank and the filter, since anything in the filter must be considered to be still in the tank.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a 5 gallon, 10 gallon, 20 long, and 29 high tank and it works in all of them.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have an Oscar that gets stressed every time I do a water change. He lays on his side and takes an hour or so to act normal. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicoop View Post
I have an Oscar that gets stressed every time I do a water change. He lays on his side and takes an hour or so to act normal. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thats normal. Its not soo much stress.... but rather them being giant sissies. Nothing to worry about.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you use an electric gravel vac I'd suggest testing for Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate before and after just to see if there is any noticeable change.

My 75G is heavily planted and sits at 10ppm nitrate if I leave it alone.. I change the water perhaps monthly and it stays crystal clear! My 30G with one goldfish tends to need weekly (or every other) changes.

I just test the nitrates to determine when a water change is needed. If it's much over 10ppm I'll do a change to bring it down to 10 or under, here's how I determine it...

20ppm - 50%
30ppm - 66% (2/3)
40+ppm - 75%

If you're much over 40ppm do a second change in a couple days.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks! I'm a newbie and feel I'm in over my head at times. I've recently moved my Oscar and convict to a 60 gallon. I cycled it for a week including a dirty filter from the previous tank and all readings were acceptable. However, a few days later I smelled an odor, which I researched was probably ammonia. The test was high so I did a big water change...it's my first time using a canister filter. I did a LOT of research and thought it was sufficient. It's a Sun Sun Hw303B 370 GPH. I'm testing the water daily and ammonia is till a little high....all other readings are good....any advice? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426858154.007179.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	267912

Tags
electric, gravel, gravel vac

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com