Electrical Solutions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilxxwojo1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I almost had an electrical scare when one of my aquarium power strips got some water on it and started smoking... luckily I saw it and unplugged it fast but needless to say it has me thinking about how to prevent this from happening again. So.. does anyone have any good ideas how to do some water proofing? I was thinking of trying to get some sort of water proof box and mount the power strips in it but I could find no such thing. :fish2:

Just buy a cheap rubbbermaid container and drill a few holes in it for the cords?

you could also buy a PVC junction box in the electrical department of your home improvement store if you can't find a rubber made big enough, I can post a picture if you need me to

Everything on your aquarium should be plugged in to a gfci... otherwise, that kind of stuff happens

Could not agree more. If it within 6 feet of a water source, you aren't safe unless the outlet is GFCI protected.

ground-fault circuit interrupter basically if it blows really easy if something shorts it out.

It's the plug with a test/reset button on it. If you replace the wall plug with a gfci be sure to place all wires on the "line" side otherwise every other plug downline on that circuit will have gfci protection and lose power when the gfci trips.

I have my power strip under my tank drilled into the underside of the table for the tank.

Back
Top Bottom