Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2004, 09:31 PM   #1

eliminating penguin 170 filter

I have read a thread before and cannot locate it that concerned the removing of the disposable filter and replacing it with a reusable sponge. Has anyone ever attempted this? I wanted to still use charcoal though. I would also be willing to eliminate my bio wheel if I had to.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
On a Penguin or Emperor filter, there is an easy and cheap way to do the filters. Take a used cartridge and tear off the blue filter material. Dump the carbon and rinse the plastic frame. Go to Wal Mart and buy a roll of medium loft quilt batting...make sure it doesn't have any mildew inhibitors...the cheap stuff won't. Cut a piece that will overlap the edges of the plastic frame about 1" all the way around. Pour new carbon in the frame and cover with the quilt batting. Fold it over the edges and secure with a couple of rubber bands. Works just as well as the original and costs pennies. You'll need to change the rubber bands each time...you can get a large box at Wal Mart as well.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:36 PM   #3

I will give that a try. TY. How do I know if it's mildew resistant or not. Would the sales person know. I'm not very familar with that product, so forgive me.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:49 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
It will say on the package. You could also buy a roll of filter floss from the LFS, but the quilt batting is about the same thing and much cheaper.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Sounds like a cheap alternative.
Think I'll try it too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

But really..

If your rinsing your filter media out each week, price shouldn't be a concern.

I just replaced the filter media in my 170 after rinsing it weekly for well over 6 months. I still could be using it, but I felt it was time for a change. but the new is doing just as good a job as my old one.

as long as the blue stuff isn't breaking off and becoming goo, its good to keep using.

Tags
filter, penguin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com