Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Emergency electricity appliance?

I live in West Virginia and our weather is persistently unpredictable. We receive snow in large masses periodically over the winter season. Occasionally, these storms will be bad enough to put my house out of power. Like everyone else, I have a lot of my hard-earned money invested in my tank. In the event that a storm will put me out of power this winter, is there any kind of device that can supply power for my tank? Like something that has a few outlets and can run my heater and filter? And yes, I'm quite aware generators exist and I own two myself. However, I need those for other purposes. Is there anything battery powered out there that can get the job done? I want to hear ALL SUGGESTIONS. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know there are battery powered air pumps... That could supply oxygen for a while if the filters aren't running.

I found a similar conversation that might help. Where to buy a battery powered aquarium heater...

Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yup I own a few battery powered pumps. Don't know why I didn't think of that. As far as heat though it looks like I'll just have to wrap the tank...
Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do one of your generators power your hot water heater? If so you could always do a pwc to keep the temp up. That would oxygenate the water as well.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

No I don't use the generators for that but I could. That's a good suggestion. Appreciate it!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How about buy a good generator, big enough to power you house. As in lights fridge, heater, and in our case, our fish tank stuff. Basically, nothing extra, the necessities. You could get a big enough genie (generator) to power everything like business as usual, but that'd cost a small fortune. But all the battery powered stuff that has been suggested, is great if you have to be on the move. Honda has a great line of small genies that'd be great for powering JUST your house's heater, tank equipment(as long as its not a HUGE set up) and fridge and lights. And best part is, they hardly sip fuel and are whisper quiet.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
How about buy a good generator, big enough to power you house. As in lights fridge, heater, and in our case, our fish tank stuff. Basically, nothing extra, the necessities. You could get a big enough genie (generator) to power everything like business as usual, but that'd cost a small fortune. But all the battery powered stuff that has been suggested, is great if you have to be on the move.
I've pondered this. Maybe if I can come up with the money I will.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It IS the BEST way to go, with a genie that is. Most reliable, longest lasting solution. Imo. Just watch C.List for a good deal on a nice genie.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
It IS the BEST way to go, with a genie that is. Most reliable, longest lasting solution. Imo. Just watch C.List for a good deal on a nice genie.
Will do. Thank you.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com