Emperor 280 BIO-Wheel Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blizzard

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just wondering will an Emperor 280 BIO-Wheel, be enough filtration for a 20 gal?
Thanks,
Blizzard

it is pretty much overfiltration for a 20 gallon tank.. the Emperor 280 can do anything from a 35 to a 55 gallon tank..

a 20 gallon that is a heavily stocked fish-only tank would need about a 200gph filter..
a normaly stocked fish-only 20 gallon tank would need about a 150gph filter..
a 20 gallon planted tank would need a 100gph filter..

Would it work though? IS overfiltration a bad thing?
-Blizzard

If you want your fish plastered against the side of the tank and the substrate or plants blown around :lol: Maybe not that bad but I really wouldn't use that much filtration unless you have river fish and a place for them to get out of the current as well as some hardy plants and definitely don't attempt co2. The amount of surface movement will allow all the co2 to escape.

The gph numbers I gave you were considering over-filtration.. HTH
personally I would almost never put more then a 160gph filter on a 20 gallon tank.. that would be considering messy fish that wouldnt fit in the tank and river fish..

If your concerned about getting a emperor.. I have had one the 400 model.. It didnt do any better then my big wispier 5... and the GPH is considerably lower on the Whisper 5 + no biowheel or spraybar.. experiance has made me see that the biowheel really isnt helpful you can get far more bio-filtration in an aquaclear with added bio-media..

Back
Top Bottom