emperor 280 noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glooey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok i just got a emperor 280 and it seemed quiet for a while but now it makes a mechanical noise i have rinsed the impeller cleaned the inside of the filter with q-tips and all that its still noisy and its annoying because its in my bedroom is this regular for emperors or not i did used to have sand in my tank is there any mods i can do to make it quiet (sorry if this has been posted before i searched and found nothing so)

This will probably sound stupid, but based on experience with my Penguin 330 you might try making sure that all of the connections on the suction tube are tight and that the tube itself doesn't have any tiny cracks or pinholes. Since the pump on 'over the side' filters draw a vacuum to lift the tank water, it can also suck in air bubbles through any leaks in the suction tube. Air in the pump makes a 'gravelly' noise.

it makes a sound like there is sand in the impellar but i have washed & checked it and there is none,thx melonie i will check that asap

that happens to me when the impeller isnt all the way down, the intake tube is slighly bent causing the impeller to bend, or the impeller has hair wrapped around/in it

I had the same noise with my Emperor 400, and the only way I was able to quiet it down was by replacing it with a canister filter. The Emperor is now really quiet, at least I assume it is since it is sitting in a box in storage somewhere :)

ok i checked and there are no holes in the intake tube and no hairs on the impellar and its on tight so i called marineland again and they said that they would send me a brand new impellar in 5-7 buisness days ! so thanks for all the help with this

glooey said:
so i called marineland again and they said that they would send me a brand new impellar in 5-7 buisness days !

Thats what they did for me too, but it didn't help. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

^ ya thx im waiting to move my aquarium and clean it verry verry well with my hose before i put the impellar in did u ever have sand in ur tank?

I have sand in my tank and i am having the same exact problem.. it is kinda like a suction or vibration sound... its very annoying. i have sand with a penguin 330... GRR :evil:

Back
Top Bottom