Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2005, 02:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

emperor 280 noise

ok i just got a emperor 280 and it seemed quiet for a while but now it makes a mechanical noise i have rinsed the impeller cleaned the inside of the filter with q-tips and all that its still noisy and its annoying because its in my bedroom is this regular for emperors or not i did used to have sand in my tank is there any mods i can do to make it quiet (sorry if this has been posted before i searched and found nothing so)

Old 04-30-2005, 02:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
what kind of noise is it?

Old 04-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #3

This will probably sound stupid, but based on experience with my Penguin 330 you might try making sure that all of the connections on the suction tube are tight and that the tube itself doesn't have any tiny cracks or pinholes. Since the pump on 'over the side' filters draw a vacuum to lift the tank water, it can also suck in air bubbles through any leaks in the suction tube. Air in the pump makes a 'gravelly' noise.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:02 PM   #4

it makes a sound like there is sand in the impellar but i have washed & checked it and there is none,thx melonie i will check that asap
Old 04-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
that happens to me when the impeller isnt all the way down, the intake tube is slighly bent causing the impeller to bend, or the impeller has hair wrapped around/in it
Felf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had the same noise with my Emperor 400, and the only way I was able to quiet it down was by replacing it with a canister filter. The Emperor is now really quiet, at least I assume it is since it is sitting in a box in storage somewhere
Old 04-30-2005, 11:51 PM   #7

ok i checked and there are no holes in the intake tube and no hairs on the impellar and its on tight so i called marineland again and they said that they would send me a brand new impellar in 5-7 buisness days ! so thanks for all the help with this
Old 05-01-2005, 02:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by glooey
so i called marineland again and they said that they would send me a brand new impellar in 5-7 buisness days !
Thats what they did for me too, but it didn't help. Hopefully you'll have better luck.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #9

^ ya thx im waiting to move my aquarium and clean it verry verry well with my hose before i put the impellar in did u ever have sand in ur tank?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:27 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have sand in my tank and i am having the same exact problem.. it is kinda like a suction or vibration sound... its very annoying. i have sand with a penguin 330... GRR

adam_keene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com