Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
emperor 400 acting like a pesant 150...

im having problems with my bio wheels turning? has anyone else had this problem? the spray bars are working fine, no trash in the lines the bio wheels will turn a few time them just sit there, o few seconds is ok but ive watched them sit still for like 10-15 minutes while I was cleaning the tank or feeding corals etc. water is shooting on them and like i said if i touch them they will turn for a few minutes but then stop.. do I just need new ones I though they were supposed to last!

I;m so deep that if water tried to listen then the rivers would sink...knowledge is power, get ya weight up!
juice28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
ive never used an emperor, but i do know that my penguin did the same thing if the water level wasnt high enough to kind of raise the level behind the bio-wheel to get a stronger flow. Have you tried raising the water level a little? Might help, or it may not, unless you have the water level as high as you can anyways

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had issues with the biowheel not turning before. The main culprit seems to be the filter getting too clogged (usually after I add water and stir up mulm), and the water that can't get through the filter gets dropped back into the tank through a built in drainage-channel. I did a quick rinse of the filter, and it was back in action.
underdog5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Flake
my biowheels only stop turning if the water level gets too low.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
The biowheel on my Penguin stops turning when the water level gets too low or the filter needs to be cleaned out. Sometimes cartridge cleaning isn't enought and the intake tube and the impeller area need cleaning too.

Biowheels are only supposed to be replaced if they get damaged or contaminated. I think Marineland even says not to worry if the biowheel doesn't rotate continuously. Completely stopped isn't good though.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com