Emperor 400 filtering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidtcb1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have 2 Emperor 400s on my 75gallon community tank. I use two of the brand name filter insert cartridges in each (the blue ones that have carbon inside). I also use one of the plastic "snap together" cartridges in one side of each filter. I just use generic white filter media/floss type stuff that you buy in bulk in each of these. I've really been able to tell the difference in water clarity and have to do water changes less frequently since I started using the additional mechanical media.

My question...do you think I could use two of these in each filter (double what I have now) and stop using the much more expensive filter cartridges and get the same results? I would be losing the carbon, but have read that's not that big a deal - especially on a tank like this that's been established for three years. Those 4 pack Emperor cartridges get pricey!

Opinions?

quick answer? yes.
long answer? yes, but keep a 10 pack of charcoal cartridges for emergency use (gets rid of meds in tank).

Chotie...are you referring to medications I would put in the tank? If so, yes I'm aware that I need carbon for that. Thanks!

When it get's dirty, just rinse it out in old tank water. Then if the floss get's too bad, just replace it. Yes, that will be just fine to use 2 in the filter. :)

I usually change it every two months or so right now. You know when it needs to be changed b/c the flow of water slows waaaay down. It really doesn't rinse well. Of course, right now, the other cartridges catch most of the big stuff, so I'm sure more solid debris will rinse out if I'm using solely the cheaper stuff. It seems to do a really nice job polishing the water.

And yes, I do open it to rinse - in tank water of course, from my python during a water change.

Thanks!

Yes, you open it up and take the floss out and rinse it out. It takes a little bit to rinse out, but it will. But it's cheap enough where you can just replace when it's time. The bio-wheel takes care of the bio-filtration, so there's no worries there.

Also, since the inner one will be cleaner, you can just replace the floss in the outer one, move the inner one to the outer position, and put the one with new floss in the inner position.

Lonewolfblue said:
Also, since the inner one will be cleaner, you can just replace the floss in the outer one, move the inner one to the outer position, and put the one with new floss in the inner position.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

but the blue one should be first???

lovemybarbs said:
Lonewolfblue said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

but the blue one should be first???

No. They are talking about replacing the blue one, and put in another media basket with filter floss in it. You would have to buy a second basket, but you can get them.

Another possibility is to not connect the media cartridge and put a bunch of floss between them, and have one half go in the first slot, and the 2nd into the 2nd slot. You would be able to fit a lot more floss in it that way, between the 2 halves.

Hadn't thought of that, I'll give it a try. I know I'll have to buy a couple more baskets but that's nothing compared to the cartridges several times a year.

Thanks

No, using carbon is not dumb. A good thing indeed. But I think if you have a fully cycled and established aquarium, it's main job is done. It's main function would now be if you were trying to get rid of medications/toxins, etc. in your tank. You shouldn't see a clarity difference in your water without it.

Back
Top Bottom