Emperor vs Penguin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
After input from you guys I decided to go with the Bio Wheel from Marine Land. However I need to know what exactly is the difference between the Emperor models and the Penguin models? Is one better or newer?

richiestang_78 said:
After input from you guys I decided to go with the Bio Wheel from Marine Land. However I need to know what exactly is the difference between the Emperor models and the Penguin models? Is one better or newer?

I might be wrong, but if I am not mistaken, If there is an emperor filter, the difference is that the penguin has a bio-wheel, the emperor does not.

I THINK that is right...... right guys?

Its alright, someone answered my question. Emperors are alittle more heavy duty while penguins are best for smaller tanks and are also more compact.

The Emperor has an extra media basket. Also, the Emperors have a spraybar which sprays the water on the biowheel, rather than the biowheel being operated just by water flow.

For HOB's, I personally only use Emperors. Very happy with them.

I'm pretty sure the Penguin has that too. I have the Penguin with the two cartridges and it has a space for extra media on each side. It also sprays the wheel.

I just looked up the parts breakdown. No spraybar on any of the Penguins. The biowheel is operated by water flow through a separate water line, allowing the water to run on the biowheel. The Emperor has a spraybar that sprays the biowheel, and does get clogged now and then. Maybe I should have gotten the Penguin instead, lol. ;)

Yes the penguin line has "space" for media to go if you purchase the extra media basket, the Emporer comes with the extra media baskets. The penguin line does not have the "second" pump for the spray bar nor does it have a spray bar too turn the biowheels. The wheels are turned by the flow of water under them instead. Marineland describes the "second" pump in the Emporer line but I believe it is a clever use of words, there is not two pumps, only a second discharge area to pressurize the spraybars. Just like Lonewolfblu stated.

I swear mine has a spray bar, because I adjust it when it slows down. Maybe it is because mine is 3 years old. I have the big one. Maybe the smaller ones don't. If I was home, I would take a picture, not that it matters that much anyway. I'll figure it out later. You'll probably tell me I have an Emperor. Tee hee. Oh well.

Is there a bar that has 6 holes in it spraying the biowheel that you need to pull out now and then to unplug with a brush? If it has one, then it's an emperor. Penguins don't have these. But both the Penguin and the Emperor have the feature of turning flow up and down. And for the spraybar, you can turn it also, to adjust the angle of spray that you prefer.

richiestang_78 said:
Is one better or newer?

lovemybarbs said:
You'll probably tell me I have an Emperor. Tee hee. Oh well.

Either way, they are both excellent filters IMO.

Enclosed is 3 pics of the Emperor spraybar.

EDIT:
Eeekkkkk, I should have taken pics of my other Emperor 400. Biowheels are much cleaner, lol. It's new of course, still cycling and building up colonies. :)

I use the Size E filters I think. Now I'm confusing myself. Yep, a bar that shoots water on both wheels. I was such a fish idiot when I bought it, you never know.

One of the features of the Emporer's spray bar is it keeps the bio wheel operating if you choose to shut down the main water flow as when feeding brine shrimp etc.
This way you won't kill all the benf-bac if you forget to restart the water flow when feeding is finished.

jb.

I wish I still had my box. I'm cracking up here. I learn something in here every day. I keep my filter turned down for now with the 29, but I'll crank it up when I have the 55 going. Well if it is the Emperor. I love it the filter.

How am I ever going to catch that pleco. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom