Emporer or UGFs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkfarter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Gang!

I have two Emporer fliters hanging off my 72 Gal. tank.
I was wondering if its worth it (easier to take care of) if
I switched and installed a Under-Gravel-Filter?

Undergravel filters are outdated and hardly anyone uses them anymore. They're a pain. Emperors should do you fine. Installing an undergravel in an established tank is no easy task either.

Ryan

Agreed. Keep the Emps running and forget the UGF. Emperors are the best HOB filter you can get anyway.

The Emps I have are the dual bio-wheel jobies.
At this time I have in my Oceanic 72 Gal Bow Tank:

2 Yellow Bumble Bee Cichlids
2 Blue Bumble Bee Chiclids
2 Tangerine Organe Chiclids
3 Baby Blue Tetras
1 Rope Fish
2 Black Mollies
2 Orange Bards
2 Cichlids that look like dairy cows
1 Pleco
2 Small Catfish
1 Sponge Bob Sqaure Pants

Sorry if I don't know the real names of some of these fish. :oops:

If you aren't having any trouble with ammonia/nitrite, I'd leave it alone. The Emperors are the best power filters available and will give you years of trouble free service.

Stay with the Emporers. I don't know that you need 2 of them as the 400s are rated up to 80 gallon tanks and it may be overkill. Also, if you need filters go to www.foryourfish.com for the best price I have found. I buy them them there for about 1/2 the price.

Better price for Penguin 330 w/bio-wheel

I reacently started my first FW Aquarium, I purchased the Penguin 330 w/bio-wheel at petsmart, but please but it from their website, the instore price is allmost double.
http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_776.shtml

By the way, if you are using the Penguin 330 w/bio-wheel you don't really need gravel, I only have about 1/4" on my tank. I know people that have to gravel and with this filter and they have no trouble with ammonia or nitrites.

This is my current fish stock.

6 - Zebra Danion (1.5" x 6 = 9)
4 - Corydoras Albino (2.5" x 5 = 15)
4 - Swordtail (4" x 3 = 12)
1 - Dward Gourami (2")
1 - Pictus Catfish (3")

Total Fish Inches = 41" inches
Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrites = 0 ppm
I do 20% water change avery week

Good luck.

Back