Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

energy efficent Halides

What are the most energy effeciant halides? Does anyone know or have opinions? We are looking to purchase them in January for the new house. Setting up a new tank in wall and I want to upgrade the lights since the tank is deeper. Also, with 14k bulbs will I need atinics? I have VHO's now that I can use for that but I'd rather not if it is not needed. Also, do fish NEED that sunrise/sundown effect? I've been doing this for years, will the change stress them too much? Thanks!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
There is no energy efficient MH's, they are an electric companies dream. While some ballasts are more efficient than others, the big picture is still that these are quite the energy hogs.

Personally I would still run actinics with 14k bulbs. Sunrise/sunset patterns are not a must for the fish.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mmm, not what I was wanting to hear. How do they compare to VHO energywise? We are running 4 72" VHO's right now on our 150g. How would it compare to 3 MH's? Is this still a dramatic increase in energy usage?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 08-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Halides and "energy efficient" in the same sentence is a bit of an oxymoron, really. They consume much more energy than the amount of light they give out. As an example, they will consume 275 watts of electricity to give out 250 watts of light. A lot of energy is lost in heat production.

Check the ballasts of your VHO lights. You should see something that indicates the power consumption. Add it all up then compare with the halides. You will think it over a few times before switching to halides.

Of course, if money is no problem, then this is a non-issue.... 8O

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have two ballasts, they are 440 ballasts. So that would be 880? The bulbs themselfs are 640watts if that matters at all. So to keep it the same and play it safe I'd need 3 175 watt bulbs? Can I pull that off in a 180 with 3-5" of sand? medium light corals is all I really get into anyway. I have two BTA's too.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion. I also run 4 VHO`s and I`m pretty sure you`ll use much more energy with the MH`s.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com