Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
For a fowlr set up you don't need anything special for lighting, and really don't want too much to avoid algae problems. A cheap hood with a decent 10k bulb in it should show off the fish decently.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
With the water constantly flowing over the biowheel and not threw the biowheel I would think that debri would flow over it and get rinsed off the biowheel as it turns. With the pad in place it flows threw it and gets stuck on the pad with no place to go. ...
Maybe we have different designs of Biowheels, but with the Penguins, with or without the pad, the water flow through the wheel is the same. The pump pumps the water into the chamber, the water is then blocked by the pad which it has to flow through, and then the water flows out UNDER the biowheel causing it to turn like a little water wheel. The water flows the same way regardless of if there's a pad in or not.

Quote:
OK cool do you guys recommend and media to out in the bio wheel?
???

Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social_d87 View Post
OK cool do you guys recommend any media to put in the bio wheel?
Purigen is a good media for saltwater and you can regenerate it>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
then the water flows out UNDER the biowheel causing it to turn like a little water wheel. The water flows the same way regardless of if there's a pad in or not.
???
Mine is the same design. The point I was trying to get at was I don't believe the little water wheel thing to contribute any unsafe levels of nitrates that the cottony media pad tends to be the problem that gives biowheels bad names as they absorb waste and if not cleaned Produce unsafe levels of Nitrates.
I have no pad in mine just a Purigen Pouch(fine mesh pouch doesn't collect waste as much) And the water wheel thing is what Holds the beneficial bacteria for when you set up Quarantine.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social_d87 View Post
What type of power head should I use for my 29gal FOWLR tank? Also should i use two 50watt heaters one one each side of the tank or just one 100watt on one side. I have a Marineland penguin 350 BIO-wheel filter any suggestions on how to make it work better for my SW tank?
Hydor Koralias are a good choice IMO I personally didn't care for Maxi-jets. 2 heaters also a good idea. around 50# of live rock should do the trick depending on the density of the rock. If you order some online call and request what size pieces you want or they may send you a 15# rock. Do you have a Protein skimmer?

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

No i dont have one yet will buy one later on heard that its not that crucial at first.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ank-73477.html

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:41 AM   #17

So i think i have all the right equipment heres the list ( A Seaclone Protein Skimmer from Aquarium Systems, two 50 watt submersible heaters, one power head from Marineland, and Marineland bio- wheel filter. Does that sound good i know there have been some bad reviews for the Protein skimmer i have but there was also some good and its only going in a 29gal.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

a protein skimmer is one of those things you cant go cheap on. It would be better to wait and not have one until you can get a good one. Although I have no experience with the Seaclone skimmer I have also read bad reviews and I would hate to see you waste your money

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #19

Ya i took it back didnt try to use it ill save my money and get a better one later on
Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Koralias are a great choice for your PHs they produce good flow and it is gentle flow as well as using very little energy to do it. I'm glad you took the seaclone back! Save up a bit and get a better skimmer. AquaC makes a perfect skimmer for your tank.

As for your bio-wheel I don't use them, never had so I can't say one way or the other. The key, as has been mentioned, with any kind of power filter is to make sure that you clean your sponges or baggie thingys regularly. You don't want the nasty stuff getting trapped anywhere in your system. Those of us who use sumps and fuges have to clean out detritus as well. It's just part of keeping your tank healthy and happy.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com