Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2004, 01:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used a penguin 170 on a 30 gallon tank.Thumbs down. I had to modify one of the filter cartridges for the filter to eliminate many floating particles.I cut out the filter material and removed the plastic fins underneath and placed fine filter material inside.I switched to a Jebo cannister,(Eheim clone). GREAT filter! Check out superfishstore.com or aquatraders.com for the best prices.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
What filter you should get depends not only on the capacity of the aquarium it is going to be used with but also how many fish, what size fish and if the tank is planted or not. I would recommend a canister filter for a planted tank using CO2 injection but a power filter for a planted tank that doesn't use CO2 injection as well as for a tank with no live plants. You would also want more powerful filtration if you have a tank with messy eaters like Oscars as opposed to smaller fish like tetras.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

what is the difference between a penguin bio-wheel and a emperor bio-wheel?---both by marineland.

"Idle Hands Are Playthings Of The Devil"
Concubine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 06:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

anyone?

"Idle Hands Are Playthings Of The Devil"
Concubine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

emperors are better and they have an extra slot for more media???

15 (2 Bronze Corys, 4 Albino Corys, Black Molly)

30 (Breeder) (Blood Parrot, 1 Tiger Barbs, 3 Clown Loaches)

Pictures of my tanks
mayreee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concubine
what is the difference between a penguin bio-wheel and a emperor bio-wheel?---both by marineland.
As far as I know the main difference is that the Emperor has a spray bar that hits the biowheel to rotate it. I bought a cheap walmart knockoff and bought a kit to convert it to a biowheel. It is the equivelant of the Penguin 330 Biowheel because it doesn't have the spray bar for the biowheels. My waterflow just turns the wheels. It doesn't work great because my filter media slows down water too much. Also when my tank water level drops 3" or so the wheels stop spinning.

The Emperor also comes with two baskets that hang behind the filters that my walmart knockoff didn't come with. I'm totally sure that the Penguin is like my knockoff. Chances are the two filters are identical.

Hope this helps somewhat...
Old 01-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Make a wise choice:Aquaclear HOB or a cannister filter.Vertical pad filtration that's incorporated in the Penguin series is a poor engineering design.Also consider that GPH rating is not the only factor when choosing a filter.The finest cannister filters,Eheim, generally have lower GPH ratings due to the exceptional filtering capabilities through the media.Cannisters that actually use the no-bypass feature have another factor that will be used in determining its capabilities.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Quote:
Emperor is the higher grade/quality item (and larger aquariums if memory serves) and penguin is the lower end for the same product type.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha
Make a wise choice:Aquaclear HOB or a cannister filter.Vertical pad filtration that's incorporated in the Penguin series is a poor engineering design.Also consider that GPH rating is not the only factor when choosing a filter.The finest cannister filters,Eheim, generally have lower GPH ratings due to the exceptional filtering capabilities through the media.Cannisters that actually use the no-bypass feature have another factor that will be used in determining its capabilities.
The Emps are much nicer than any aquclear you can buy IMO but than again I like marineland's stuff much better. Canisters can be a pain in the butt if not cared for properlly. If it was me...I would be putting the LARGER Emperor on my 30 gallon. The larger emperor can go on aquarium up to 75 gallons and it is only about $35 from big als. Beware though this current could be high for some fish. The smaller emperor is basically the same as a penguin. The smaller one does not have two baskets just one. The smaller ones biowheel just runs on the waterflow but mine works great.

Anyhow...Its really your choice. Canisters are nice but make sure you buy what you think will be easy to work with.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com