Equipment advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
well of course im new to this hobby and i was just wondering if anyone could help me choose the best equipment or brand for a tank and equipment. imo looking to buy a 20-30 gallon tank.

Get a 45 long... (nudge nudge) Don't bother with the kits buy all the components individually if you can. I have:

Visa Therm Submersible Heater. They are great and pretty accurate. Get a real thermometer.

I have a 58 gallon Oceanic Tank but I only got it because it was sale I couldn't pass up

Well, for new hobbyists. It all depends on what kind of fish you want to keep. If I were you I wouldn't go with anything too small e.g) 10g, or something or big e.g) 55-100g.

For new hobbyists, a 20-29g is necessary.(well imo). I have to agree with webmoose about buying supplies individually becuase most kits have low quality brands, thats why it's cheaper to buy a kit.

For filtration, I would suggest a H.O.B(hang on back) powered filter, i would suggest aqua clear brands.

You'll need a heater possibly a 50-100watt, submerisble or hang on back.. temperature should stay around 70s...

all deco brands will be up to you.

for lighting, flourescent is best as they don't cause much heat and they have a brighter view instead of incadescent bulbs giving a tint of yellow and causing more heat.

I like JBJ lighting, they are a bit pricey, but it is worth buying them.

anything esle you need to know, please post more questions..

Longs are better than talls for most fish. The added surface area means you can stock it slightly fuller than if you had a tall tank. As far as brands Im not sure if there is much of a differance in the tanks themselves. Filters there are big variations. Do you know what you plan on keeping in the way of fish yet.

It is best to plan the tank around the fish.

im thinking of getting Tetras (Neon and/or cardinal) and some tiger barbs, well im not sure about the barbs cause i hear they nip fins alot

neon tetras and cardinals are perfect for planted aquariums, a 20gallon should work for the neons/cardinals although you can get other species of tetras also.

If you plan a planted tank consider going for a canister filter over the HOB type.

Here is a link to All Glass. Have a look at what size and shape tanks are out there. A lfs will order one if what you want is not in stock. http://www.all-glass.com/products/index.html
If you plan to have plants then get a good fixture. Kits have poor lighting. 1.5 to 2 watts per gal.

You need to ask yourself how much room do I have for this tank. 30" long 36" long or even 48". 12" deep (front to back) or 18" deep. Need 4" room in back for hoses and filters as well. There is hex shaped and those made to go in corners. I suggest something in the 20 to 40 gallon size. If you have the money a 36 gal bow front would be real nice.

Most planted tank, you will go for CO2 eventually. the HOB waterfall will loose the CO2 into the air. If the cAnister's fiulter water outlet is submerge, there is minimum disturb to the water too.

IMHO, in long run a canister filter will out preform a HOB in filtering and weekly maintainance.

Thanks Vega.. beat me to the answer I was going to say.. :)

You can have a HOB and a planted tank. Just the canister is a better choice..

Not to mention the canister is quieter... :)

acrylic can scratch easy but can come in cool shapes and sizes. I have an 8 gallon acrylic that is a hex.

acrylic can warp over time but is lighter weight tank than glass.

The scratch thing can be really bad if you get a scratch you might not get rid of it. You mainly haved to be careful when cleaning it.

Back
Top Bottom