Equipment issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just checking to see if its just me.

Since setting up my tank in July it seems that one equipment issue after another has plagued me. The latest is my skimmer which produced wonderfully for months has now tested my patients for the last two weeks. Over the last two weeks endless tweaking, cleaning and pump switching has netted me one day of decent skim.

Other than that the list includes pumps that only turn on in when tested in sinks and when hooked up to tank plumbing fail to initiate, power heads impossible to secure, power filter pumps failing, light fixture with failing LED moonlighting the first week etc.

Its getting to the point that I am considering chucking the reef idea and since I have some high powered PC lighting venturing into the world of planted freshwater.

I am beginning to think that the vast majority of equipment offered for sale in this hobby is designed solely for the purpose of rapeing the wallets of new comers and no attempt has been made at all to offer a product that lives up to its claims.

I thought the challenge would be with keeping the live stock healthy but unfortunately its starting to look like I am sadly mistaken.

two things may be at work here...salt water and gremlins. SW can raise havoc on equipment and causes frequent maintenance. I can not help you with the gremlins.

I would say at this point the two factors are greed and marketing. Taking less profit by makeing a functioning piece of equipment that last seems to be out of the question.

Marketing. Keep the consumer in endless circles of purchase never able to arrive at his goal until he eventually gives up. By that time someone is there to replace him and the cycle begins all over and it is never necessary to spend the money and time offering a quality product which means more profit.

Think about the piece of machinery you are using to read this and I think you will begin to understand what I am talking about. Bill Gates has yet to offer a truly functional and reliable operating system yet he has accumulated more wealth selling that faulty product than most of us can even imagine.

Think about the piece of machinery you are using to read this and I think you will begin to understand what I am talking about. Bill Gates has yet to offer a truly functional and reliable operating system yet he has accumulated more wealth selling that faulty product than most of us can even imagine.

and yet people still buy windows based PC's. Macs are the way to go, virtually hassle free....an operating platform that WORKS!!! :)

as for the gear you have, what make and model? maybe some people can offer their experience with the same and get you happy about the hobby again. We'd hate to see ya go from equipment malfuntions.

And the pumps.... have you made sure they're primed before you turn them on in the plumbing. depending where the pump is, you need to have the pipes primed with water for it to work.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom