equipment options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snickers450

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys..i am new to this hobby..i have some question regarding on some equipments..i am planning on purchasing a 75 gal tank (SW)..and i am stuck on choosing what is the right filter to buy..i looked at FLUVAL 305 (for 70 gal) or FLUVAL 405 (for 100 gal)..i was told that its ok to have a higher type of equipment than less..is it true?..does it goes with other equipments?..please help guys..TIA..

Go with the "oversized" filter. Unless you have your tank to the point that you're blowing the fish around, you're not going to over-filter. In a lot of cases, it seems like the manufacturers over rate them anyway.

Agree. The consensus on these forums is to spend a little more money for more filtration. It cannot hurt. The is a ton of information here. Just surf the forums manually, or use the search function for specific items. Good luck.

I'd also vote on the overfiltration idea. You can never have too much filtering in my opinion.

Though I have to ask, do you not have enough room underneath the tank for a sump? You would probably see better results if you went with the sump over a canister as far as saltwater.

I in fact use a fluval on my 55g sw and have found it to work really well, combined with a hang on back skimmer I was able to maintain 0 nitrates in that tank. Just keep in mind that a canister involves alot more maintaining than a sump does. I use the fluval pretty much formechanical filtration. I run carbon and biomedia in my compartments with some filter floss on top to shine up the water a bit. :)

Carey, could you explain the "why" regarding sumps requiring less maintenance than canister filters? I am guessing it might be because they usually house more water volume, but being pretty new to current filtration theories, I could use some help truly understanding this. Sumps fascinate me, but I am somewhat intimidated by the plumbing. I am all thumbs! Thanks...

:)

Well, sumps can hold the ectra water volume which in my opinion is the first and best reason.Secondly, you can hide all your equipment in there. Heaters, reactors, skimmer etc. If you get a sump with filter socks its just matter of swapping out a filter sock every few days and just keeping the sump in good working order. A sump with a refugium is even more useful when you go to a reef tank.

When using a canister filter if you dont maintain it and clean it out frequently you will have a smallnitrate factory on your hands. Plus depending on what you run in the fluval will dictate how often you have to replace media. If you run carbon you have to change it out like every two weeks, and make sure the sponges used don't become clogged or full of gunk.

I was to say the least, VERY intimidated by a sump. Like crazy scared to try it. BUT it worked out. Mostly from input on this forum. I had some poeple literally hand hold while I set it up. BUT I am glad to say it's been up a few months and I've had 0 issues with it.

Here are some links that might help

Refugiums,fuges or refuge
Berlin method of filtration
Sumps Explained
Protein skimming - is it right for you?

Hope they help a little. if you need more info just ask away :-D

Carey, you are awesome!

Tanks...I mean thanks...(pun intended)

I am going to give it a try. It seems so creative + scientific. Veery cool.
Does it make any sense for a freshwater setup? It just seems most folks use it with SW.
I hope I am not hijacking this thread!

Tony

I think we stayed on topic so the OP has the options I listed if he wants to read further. :)

In freshwater people do use sumps as well, just not as many and from what I've seen and read, mostly on larger tanks.

Back
Top Bottom