Eshoppe vs Coralife hang on back skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear bad things about both honestly. From what I have heard Iv found that the eshoppe skimmer is better the corallife however I was informed to go with reef octopus and I'm glad I did. Don't get me wrong the reef octopus is a pain to get dialed in and working properly but it is a good skimmer when you get all the kinks out.

Just found a local store with the Octopus and saw that had great ratings from most people. thanks!

HOB skimmers cause a ton of micro bubbles in the DT and, in my experience, skim less than the ones that are in a sump in ~7-10 inches of water.

The reef octopus bh1000 has an external pump and mine produces 0 micro bubbles and there are lots of people out there that will agree that as far as micro bubbles go reef octopus is great. I had micro bubbles for 2 days then they were gone. They supply a blue spung with the skimmer to be put on the output during the brake in so you don't have bubbles throughout your tank. Really only useful if you have a reef because most corals don't like bubbles. They of course aren't as good as an in sump skimmer but if there was room for a sump on all tanks they wouldn't have hob skimmers. I know for my 25 gallon there is no room for a sump so the only option I had was a hob skimmer and a modified aquaclear70 for a fuge.

I have the eshoppe 100h skimmer and I think it works great. Seems to pull out a good amount of gunk and its not really expensive like some of the others out there. I also don't see many bubbles coming from it either.

Decided to spend a little more and bought an Octopus BH1000 skimmer and got it going. We'll see in the next 2 days if it was a good decision.

Back
Top Bottom