ETSS Reef Devil 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I know its working correctly?
I have an overflow from the cup for the excess foam to go into a gal jug and after about a few weeks I see nasty looking water in the bottom....not much
but the PS itself is nasty looking....I tried to follow the instructions correctly....adjusted it so that you do not see any water in the tube going up and the cup is getting nasty brown foam....

if anyone has one, I'd appreciate it if you could PM me or something.
not sure whats the best method to cleaning it and all

Oh btw....I have a mag 9 running it and a ball value on it cause i know the mag 7 is recommended but instead of buyin a new pump i used this and just adjusted the flow
also I have mine set up extrenally....I have it sitting on a shelf rasied up and the flow is goin back into the sump....which is drilled

How old is the tank and is the LR cured? How old is the skimmer
I have 2 reef devils and there is a break in period with them, it can take several weeks till it is skimming good.
If you have a low bioload then there may not be a lot of stuff in the tank to skim out. You want nasty looking foam in the tube. I have mine adjusted so you just see the water at the base of the clear tube. There also should be some bioballs in the other black tube so make sure you have them.
Cleaning is easy I just take it out of the sump and put water in and shake it and drain. Some people get a baby bottle bruse to help.
ETSS is a local company for me and i have stopped at their shop a few time. They are nice guys so call them and they will help if you need it.

ok....so there is supposed to be water in the tube? their instructions says not water there.
The tank is about 3 mths and the only issue i have with taking out to clean then i have to close the valve since it is extrenal, otherwise Id get water all over the place
yeah...Im thinkin the load is the reason its nasty...I thinkin Im goin to do a few water changes with RO salt water from the LFS and see if it helps

You want to just see water right at the base of the clear tube, not in the tube.
Nasty foam is a good thing that means the skimmer is going its job.
If thats all the fish you have (4)then your bio load is very small

Back
Top Bottom