EV 120 skimmer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cardinal3420

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up an EV 120 used, anyone use them? Or have used them? I'm wondering about a pump for it as well, I'm thinking a mag 7 cause the tubing will be a bout two feet to the skimmer. Is this about right or overkill?

Just picked up an EV 120 used, anyone use them? Or have used them? I'm wondering about a pump for it as well, I'm thinking a mag 7 cause the tubing will be a bout two feet to the skimmer. Is this about right or overkill?

Noticed no one replied to your post.

I'm currently researching this skimmer for purchase and am in contact with AquaC for a pre-sales questions. I asked them the identical question (skimmer on one side of the sump and the mag 5 on the other) and they see no issue with using the Mag 5.

Suggest you send them an email with whatever questions you have (even if you bought it used). They seem customer motivated and it only helps them if you have a positive experience with the product (scroll down the link for their contact info): Support

BTW, very curious how setup went, etc.??

I think all in all it's a good skimmer, I know there are better ones out there but I picked this one up cheap and just bought a new mag 7 for it. It skims great that's for sure. I have a milk jug attached for overflow of wet skim I clean it about once every 4 days or so. It does the job and I have noticed better growth out of my SPS lately but unsure if it's just because of the skimmer or not lol. I have a pretty small bio load for a 90 gallon as well.

I have had an EV 240 for a few months now, it's awesome but I did go for 1 mag pump size bigger than they recommended and it performs much better.

I have had an EV 240 for a few months now, it's awesome but I did go for 1 mag pump size bigger than they recommended and it performs much better.

That's a shame because I've come to hate the mag 7 - have 2 (both new) and the vibration noise is very annoying. Thought I'd use a Maxi-Jet or something instead.

I think all in all it's a good skimmer, I know there are better ones out there but I picked this one up cheap and just bought a new mag 7 for it. It skims great that's for sure. I have a milk jug attached for overflow of wet skim I clean it about once every 4 days or so. It does the job and I have noticed better growth out of my SPS lately but unsure if it's just because of the skimmer or not lol. I have a pretty small bio load for a 90 gallon as well.

Do you also clean the cup and foam tower? Or just the milk jug?

So, what's better? lol

Yeah I clean all every time. I'd say minimum of once a week. It can build up gunk pretty quick. But it's doing it's job so I'm all for it.

Really appreciate the input you guys are giving. Thank you! :):)

Frankly, I was originally looking at a popular downdraft skimmer but have been put off by the conflict in input from users vs. what the manufacturer has communicated. And have learned the maintenance experience is problematic for cleaning the downdraft tube. This EV series being an "injector" design helps make maintenance somewhat easier for routine and long-term (6-12 month) maintenance.

So, hearing the user experience.... and seeing it conform to what the manufacturer communicates...makes me feel more confident about a commitment.

Have either of you guys found it necessary to pull the skimmer from the sump for maintenance.... ??? I'm using a 20g long and the height of the cabinet is only something under 24".

:thanks:

I have my skimmer outside the sump - I could probably have used the recommended pump size if I had it in the sump, just didn't have the room.

As you can see from the pic it looks a little dirty, and I cleaned it last night, this just shows its working!

I have had it running close to 6 months and never cleaned it other than dumping the skimmate and sponging the tower once a week. It took a week to break in but I have been very happy with it since.

Be careful about the moist air it produces! I had it in a cabinet (see pic) and began to notice mold appearing. The air vent throws out a lot of warm damp air. I used a water container i got from walmart and connected it air tight to the collection cup, then put a 3/4 hose from the container through the cabinet wall to act as an exhaust. I also put a 1" hose for the air intake and put that outside the cabinet (as I didn't want mold spores being sucked into the water. Since I made these changes the cabinet has dried up and all is good!

Attachments

• image-3925628001.jpg
    image-3925628001.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 71
I have my skimmer outside the sump - I could probably have used the recommended pump size if I had it in the sump, just didn't have the room.

As you can see from the pic it looks a little dirty, and I cleaned it last night, this just shows its working!

I have had it running close to 6 months and never cleaned it other than dumping the skimmate and sponging the tower once a week. It took a week to break in but I have been very happy with it since.

Be careful about the moist air it produces! I had it in a cabinet (see pic) and began to notice mold appearing. The air vent throws out a lot of warm damp air. I used a water container i got from walmart and connected it air tight to the collection cup, then put a 3/4 hose from the container through the cabinet wall to act as an exhaust. I also put a 1" hose for the air intake and put that outside the cabinet (as I didn't want mold spores being sucked into the water. Since I made these changes the cabinet has dried up and all is good!

Wow! Glad you posted this as yet another 'hidden' factor in the decision process.... much better to know all this upfront.

Your photo and details are also interesting because I was planning on same or similar bottle as an external collection container, so let me see if I've got this...

• You're venting the dampness to the walmart bottle which then vents to the outside of your cabinet. But you are not using the bottle for collection? Only to trap the dampness
  • You clean the collection cup and tower routinely but not the walmart bottle
  • You've created an intake air 'vent' with the flex tube so as to collect air from outside the cabinet. Is that being overcautious or did you also experience damp air from it? Seems like the intake would only be sucking air as long as water is being pumped into the skimmer.
  • Whey doesn't the skimmate enter into the walmart bottle? Is that because you are cleaning the collection cup before that happens?
  • Regarding the external setup, can you post pics that also show how you are returning the water to the sump?
  • How high is the water in your sump? Is the EV-120 elevated or at the same level as the sump's bottom?
Thank you! :)

LarryS said:
Wow! Glad you posted this as yet another 'hidden' factor in the decision process.... much better to know all this upfront.

Your photo and details are also interesting because I was planning on same or similar bottle as an external collection container, so let me see if I've got this...

[*]You're venting the dampness to the walmart bottle which then vents to the outside of your cabinet. But you are not using the bottle for collection? Only to trap the dampness

The container is also collecting skimmate, the excess foam and air travel out of the collection cup into the container which has an air hose so that the air continues to outside the cabinet.

[*]You clean the collection cup and tower routinely but not the walmart bottle

Also empty the excess skimmate / foam from Walmart container, once a month or so.

[*]You've created an intake air 'vent' with the flex tube so as to collect air from outside the cabinet. Is that being overcautious or did you also experience damp air from it? Seems like the intake would only be sucking air as long as water is being pumped into the skimmer.

I only added the intake pipe because I didn't want any of the moldy air from the cabinet to get in the skimmer, I'll prob remove it now it's all dried out.

[*]Whey doesn't the skimmate enter into the walmart bottle? Is that because you are cleaning the collection cup before that happens?

It does.

[*]Regarding the external setup, can you post pics that also show how you are returning the water to the sump?

Will do in a few...

[*]How high is the water in your sump? Is the EV-120 elevated or at the same level as the sump's bottom?

It's an EV 240, and the whole skimmer is raised as the drain (from the skimmer) needs to be above the sump wall (unless you drill the side of the sump). The skimmer drain can only travel horizontal or downwards (not up) and if you put the drain return under the water you need to create a siphon break (as I have done), simply by adding a T section of PVC with the top open to the air and the bottom into the water, I will send a pic of this too.

Thank you! :)

No prob!

See answers above..

Here a some pics of my setup

Attachments

• image-932058435.jpg
    image-932058435.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1023904909.jpg
    image-1023904909.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1203965768.jpg
    image-1203965768.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 86
Here a some pics of my setup

Very impressive and creative solutions all around! :) Now, I can understand why the mold problem. Unfortunate. Looks like the skimmer cabinet is not ventilated. Bummer.

I'm guessing mold is not a problem with your sump which is generating lots of moisture. When you first wrote on it I imagined an unwanted salt spraying humidifier effect. :eek: That sounded scary.

Like also how you hooked up the 1.5g (?) water bottle. Think I own 2 of those for backup filtered water i keep on hand. :)

Feedback on frequency of cleaning is also very helpful.:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom