Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ever wish there was a timed feeding button?

I wish there was a button that I could push that would cut my three filters for a timed period, say 20 minutes and then would automatically turn back on. I like to have the filters off when I feed, but I also don't like to have to crawl around in the tank stand plugging and unplugging.

Often time I have to feed in the morning and run off work, so I have to leave the filters running. I think that clogs the filters up early, and takes food from bottom dwelling cats.

Please let me know if one exists out there.

SRC <><

55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really if you wanted to you could use a reef controller to do a feeding setting but that'd be pricey for something so small lol

Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

For my freshwater I just put everything on a powerstrip and flip the switch when doing water changes and stuff like that when I need the filters or heater off
Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use a power strip and it makes it really nice to just flip it ..... You can also get timers that you plug into the strip and turn on only when you are about to feed before you go to work then it is off for 30 min to an hour before turning back on. A couple timers and a powerstrip should run less than 20 bucks
Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a timed powerstrip for my lights. I am just bad about remembering to turn a filter powerstrip back on. I do have a separate airpump and air stones, so that they would not die from lack of oxygen, I don't want the fish to go 9 hours without filtering because I forgot.

SRC <><
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
Old 10-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I never turned my filters off when I fed. Honestly, if you're feeding enough to get in the filters, you've either got way too powerful of a filter for the tank size, or you're feeding too much... JMEO

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Big cichlids eating pelletized food is messy. They break it up and lose parts of it through their gills.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #8
come get me tang police!

If they do that frequently try stepping down to a smaller pellet size.

Tags
feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com