Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

EVO LED Reef Lighting

Can someone tell me if the EVO LED Quad 48" 3 watt from eBay are worth getting? Average at about $240. I did lots of reviews, sounds like a very good price of a fixture. One bad thing I know about it is that there are a lot more of white LEDs then blue. Is that bad? Anything is great!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman97 View Post
Can someone tell me if the EVO LED Quad 48" 3 watt from eBay are worth getting? Average at about $240. I did lots of reviews, sounds like a very good price of a fixture. One bad thing I know about it is that there are a lot more of white LEDs then blue. Is that bad? Anything is great!
I have the exact same fixture on my 55 and its beautiful!! My corals opened right up!!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

is this the one you were talking about?
EVO Quad 48" LED Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Saltwater Lunar 64x 3 Watt 3W | eBay

You are exactly right, I think the 10000K white is a bit way too much. This is a great FOWLR fixture in my opinion.
I also would concern what type of LED chip it use and lack of information on how much current it run thru the LEDs.
For LEDs, it is not how many watts per LED. It really depend on the current that run thru it. In this case, when it runs with a lot of white and has 64 LED chips, but only provides ~8500Lumens. It is actually less than my 90W CREE fixture which only has
Cree XPE Blue 3 Watts x 4
Cree XPE Royal Blue 3 Watts x 12
Cree XPG Warm White 5 Watts x 2
Cree XPG Neutral White 5 Watts x 6
And my fixture gives out about 13000 Lumens with a lot more blue LEDs.
Lumens mean nothing to the coral growth, but that can pretty much tells u the LED is not running thru max current, so 3w per chip might turn out to be about 1.5w per chip or less
Old 12-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
is this the one you were talking about?
EVO Quad 48" LED Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Saltwater Lunar 64x 3 Watt 3W | eBay

You are exactly right, I think the 10000K white is a bit way too much. This is a great FOWLR fixture in my opinion.
I also would concern what type of LED chip it use and lack of information on how much current it run thru the LEDs.
For LEDs, it is not how many watts per LED. It really depend on the current that run thru it. In this case, when it runs with a lot of white and has 64 LED chips, but only provides ~8500Lumens. It is actually less than my 90W CREE fixture which only has
Cree XPE Blue 3 Watts x 4
Cree XPE Royal Blue 3 Watts x 12
Cree XPG Warm White 5 Watts x 2
Cree XPG Neutral White 5 Watts x 6
And my fixture gives out about 13000 Lumens with a lot more blue LEDs.
Lumens mean nothing to the coral growth, but that can pretty much tells u the LED is not running thru max current, so 3w per chip might turn out to be about 1.5w per chip or less
Yes those are the light I'm talking about, but I have a very bad algae problem and I think my current lights I have are the problem, that why I want the change. So my real question is will these lights cause bad algae growth
Old 12-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With that much 10000k I would stay away from it. Find some light that has 12000k to 20000k color temp
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
With that much 10000k I would stay away from it. Find some light that has 12000k to 20000k color temp
Would you happen to have a link to a good one? 48"
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

the evo quad is a bad mama jamma...you won't regret it... only downside is you can't time the blue and white separate unless you buy there timers... also there's no cover on the light area so water may be a problem
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have this light on my 75 and its a very nice light for the money... what I did was used one quad and one 3rd gen 1w LED fixture running just the blues... corals love it I love it

Tags
led, light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com