Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I want to stress this. You are in for alot of trouble if you dont cycle your tank. All other points are moot till this is done.
Hey Mike, I was told by the aquarium over here to buy biosand which had the beneficial bacteria in it to jump start the cycle and after and after a week add a fish or two which I did. It's been over a week now and both fish appear healthy and along with the live rock I added I got a piece rock sold as mushroom rock with large purple mushrooms seeming to do well. Haven't had my water tested yet but will be doing it this weekend.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Hard to believe you would add fish without ever testing water. Hope that works. Good luck.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's very rare a tank cycles in a week. You should go out and get a good liquid test kit (Do not get the strips) that contains the basics, PH, NH3, NO3, NO2. Don't add anymore fish until you're sure the water is free of NH3 & NO2.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Maybe you had cured, already established live rock. That might be the reason no cycle occured. Still, you shuold be testing.

Where did the rock come from BTW?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
In one of those pics i saw some mushrooms, I did not read all posts but scanned most, But you said you have stock lighting on the tank right now. Mushrooms are low light corals but under stock lights they will not last long.
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by divedeep1689 View Post
In one of those pics i saw some mushrooms, I did not read all posts but scanned most, But you said you have stock lighting on the tank right now. Mushrooms are low light corals but under stock lights they will not last long.
Yes still with stock lighting unfortunately. My local aquarium ordered my light for the wrong size tank. Now I must wait until this thursday for it. I believe it's a Coral Life aqua lunar light and I think it's T5HO with moon lights. Surprisingly the mushrooms have opened up HUGE from the first few days in my tank. So not to much longer without a decent light and my skimmer.

Here is a pic of the mushrooms
Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Maybe you had cured, already established live rock. That might be the reason no cycle occured. Still, you shuold be testing.

Where did the rock come from BTW?
It was deffinitly cured live rock that I bought. To be honest it didn't occur to me to ask where the live rock originated. But their staff was seemingly educated, it's in a rather wealthy town and has been there for some time so I'm assuming these guys know what they are talking about but who knows. I won't be adding anything else until I have my water tested which will be this week. So far though both fish seem very healthy and eating, no signs of stress or ilness that I can identify yet.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am also wondering now that I have been reading up alot on these wonderful forums, if going with a sump setup would have been a much better idea. In all honesty can my current filters keep a good reef tank? Fluval 205 canister and a Subcurrent surface skimmer filter. Given I get my T5HO light and my protien skimmer.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Canisters are great but turn into Nitrate factories very quickly if not constantly cleaned. Sump is a much better way to go.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your temp is still 74 degrees, I would up that to around 80-82 degrees, but since you have fish and coral, you would need to do that very slowly. I agree with InfernoST, a sump is the best way to go as it adds water volume which makes for better stability with the parameters. If the light you are getting is the one I'm thinking of, it may not be T5 HO, but standard T5. Even if it is T5 HO, you wouldn't be able to keep much more than softies with it (your shrooms would be fine). Make sure you get an HOB skimmer since you don't have a skimmer unless you get a stand-alone model otherwise you won't be able to use it until/if you get a sump. Watch the brand of the skimmer too as there are many cheap models out there such as the SeaClone and Coralife Super Skimmers (CSS) that are terrible. HTH, and welcome to AA!

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filtration, light, lighting, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com