Expert help needed as far as lighting, filtration and skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your temp is still 74 degrees, I would up that to around 80-82 degrees, but since you have fish and coral, you would need to do that very slowly. I agree with InfernoST, a sump is the best way to go as it adds water volume which makes for better stability with the parameters. If the light you are getting is the one I'm thinking of, it may not be T5 HO, but standard T5. Even if it is T5 HO, you wouldn't be able to keep much more than softies with it (your shrooms would be fine). Make sure you get an HOB skimmer since you don't have a skimmer unless you get a stand-alone model otherwise you won't be able to use it until/if you get a sump. Watch the brand of the skimmer too as there are many cheap models out there such as the SeaClone and Coralife Super Skimmers (CSS) that are terrible. HTH, and welcome to AA!

The light they have comming in for me they had on a smaller tank in the store growing a bunch of plant life maybe softies like you mentioned not sure though. Other than that is there a light you would reccomend for a 36 gallon bow front? Like I said before I would like no boundaries as far as growing things but after the things I read about metal halide(the cost and the height they need above the water and the need of chiller) I'm willing to accept some boundry lol.

I would think that this would allow you to keep anything you wanted, but SPS would need to be placed in the upper regions of the tank. Would be best to have someone double check this though

Current USA 30" Sundial T-5 Fixture 4x24W + LED - AquaCave

There are cheaper fixtures out there, just make sure you get a reputable brand, and that the fixture has at least 4 T5 HO bulbs.

Ok, after visiting another nearby aquarium (a much better one) I am rethinking my whole setup now. I've realized now the Fluval 205 canister filter I bought is basically no good for a reef tank and obviously my light is crap. I'm seriously considering metal halide for a light and I will need to get a protein skimmer a water chiller a sump and a pump. This new aquarium I went to has everything I need in stock, the only problem is $$$. This is the price break down they gave me for what I will need.

HQI metal halide light: $600

water chiller: $600

protein skimmer:$330

sump: $360

pump: $180

skimmer box:$180

all adding up to roughly $2250 (EEEEK!!!)

Not to mention most of this excpet the light were lesser models compared to some of the other equipment there. And now I'm going to have to build some sort of canopy or shelf above my tank because it's a hanging style light. And I'de have to put the sump below and to the right of the tank stand. I'm willing to do all of this but the cost is seriously high for me. I know there are cheaper ways to go about this meaning less exspensove items that are just as good as the pricey ones. I wouldn't mind buying the $600 light if it came down to it but is there any way one of you experts can talk to me like I am 3 years old and point out maybe with a link to less exspensive items and still have good potential for a excellent set up? I feel selfish to keep calling upon the expertise here and not giving anything in return other than I promise to start a thread and keep track of my progress with this tank and set up I will have. Since my stumble onto this site I find myself looking all over here for hours at different things lol.

I deffinitly want to get serious into this hobby and do things right and all the help you guys give me is greatly appreciated. Basically I'm looking to probably order things online and have them shiped. I'll need...

water chiller

skimmer

sump

pump

skimmer box

Thank you all so much.

HQI metal halide light: $600

water chiller: $600

protein skimmer:$330

sump: $360

pump: $180

skimmer box:$180

Seems to me that there are some serious red flags with that estimate IMO. $600 on the MH is a load of crap if you are just going to get a pendant. Skimmer, go with a Reef Octopus, great skimmers and you would pay less than half of that $330. You could honestly go without a skimmer if you keep up on water changes. Skimmer box, I'm assuming this is an HOB overflow? Probably more around $75-$125 at most. Pump, return pump I'm guessing? Depending on the pump you get, it could range from $80-$200. As for the sump, just make one yourself. Not sure on chillers as I have never looked at them, although I am doubtful you would need one. HTH.

Seems to me that there are some serious red flags with that estimate IMO. $600 on the MH is a load of crap if you are just going to get a pendant. Skimmer, go with a Reef Octopus, great skimmers and you would pay less than half of that $330. You could honestly go without a skimmer if you keep up on water changes. Skimmer box, I'm assuming this is an HOB overflow? Probably more around $75-$125 at most. Pump, return pump I'm guessing? Depending on the pump you get, it could range from $80-$200. As for the sump, just make one yourself. Not sure on chillers as I have never looked at them, although I am doubtful you would need one. HTH.

A chiller is needed for metal halide lights no? I'm also hoping to put it as close to the tank as possible to save on space. I was thinking 8-10 inches above the tank. Does this seem right?

I personally dont think you need a chiller. Your water needs to warm up anyway. 8 to 10 inches will allow plenty of space so you dont have to much heating.

Back
Top Bottom